Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fourth of July Parade

My sister married Moose, whose parents live right on the parade route, so they saved us some sweet spots. People mark their "territory" for the parade days before, literally. So we're lucky to have the in-law hook-up.

Beads, Lex, and Dad ran the Firecracker 5K, which ended right before the parade started. Dad wanted me to join them, but I hadn't reached the six-week mark yet, so I wanted to wait to exercise. And I hadn't exercised in 10 months, so I don't think I would have done very well! Here's Lex, post-race (she had knee surgery a couple of months ago, and she was showing me that her surgery knee is poofier than the other one):

And Beads:

And Dad:

Dad is in such good shape. I can only hope to be jogging when I'm 54!! Here's Ben:


And Micah. He was pretty miserable the whole time. We had to keep him covered with a light blanket, because you can't put sunscreen on babies until they're six months old (so I've been told). And it was just sooo hot. So he was pretty uncomfortable, being held against hot people, with a hot blanket on top of him:


Me, eating some fresh fruit. Moose's folks always have amazing food at the parade:


My Uncle Kurt is a scoutmaster, and this is a photo of him. His troupe gathered garbage from everyone along the parade route. He's along the left edge of the road, pointing at our group (we were screaming at him). It's kind of hard to see him:


Sadie:


Dylan:


Mom:


The parade was fun, and the kids made a killing on candy being thrown from all the floats. I wish it wasn't so dang hot every year, but that's life. I was proud of myself for not crying when the veterans float went by - I almost always cry when I see the veterans, and the flag flying... sooo emotional. Anyways, thanks, Joyce and Homely, for letting us sit on your lawn! What great seats!!

5 comments:

Nat said...

So maybe next year you and I can do the 5K run, but we should make it the 5K walk! What do you say?

anjie said...

I remember sitting on that lawn watching the parade when I was little. good times. We are debating on going to the 24th parade tomorrow. So hot! We've already been to 2 parades this summer. I'm not sure I can stand the heat. But it is something to do.

Gifford Family said...

Love parades! Looks like a good one. I feel bad for little Micah, babies do get pretty miserable when they are too hot. Our 4th wasn't too miserably hot because it was overcast most of the day :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the IF parade growing up. Looks like you all had fun.

Jenny said...

that parade was a lot of fun. i'm glad we got to talk for a little while afterwards. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...