Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Da Drive-In

We went to a drive-in movie a couple of weeks ago. Our couch cushions fit perfectly into the back of our Explorer. I was a little jealous of the kids' cushy setup. I remember always being slightly uncomfortable when we used to go when I was a kid. My butt would get numb from the floor of our van. The kids were sooooo excited. They sat in the back of the car for like an hour, waiting:

We got there and got all settled. Mom and Pop:

We invited Nat's kids to join our kids in the car, and I was worried that there wouldn't be enough space, but they seemed quite comfortable:

They're all so little. They were so excited. It was really cute. Here's their aunt Lex:

Pete and Ivy:

Me and Micah, before my allergy attack:

Oh, I had a bad one that night. It was like, "hutchoohutchoohutchoohutchoo!!!" Usually, when I have allergy attacks, I have to go indoors and lie down with a washcloth on my face. That wasn't a possibility for me, so I just sneezed for like two hours straight.
Oh, and Mom smuggled in some snacks. That trail mix stuff on my lap in the above picture is called "Kar's Sweet and Salty Mix." We thought that was cool, so we took a picture of me with the box.

And yes, I'm feeding Micah a bottle in that picture, and he really should be weaned from it, but he has some issues. We're working on it. Buuuuuuuuuut Micah is now totally eating table food! We're very excited about that. It's messy, but necessary.
Ben and Micah:

We're bad parents. But Micah was being a stinker that night, and we were just trying to shut him up.
Brianna's jacket looks like Michael Jackson's:


Brianna was sooooooo helpful to me that night. She held Micah for awhile while I was trying to cope with my fun allergies. And she kept helping the kids: "Aunt Beads, I want a driiiiiiiink..." "Aunt Beads, I want to get ooooooout..." "Aunt Beads, I want to get back iiiiiiiiin..." I felt bad. I don't think she saw much of the movie. I know I didn't. It was Ice Age 3. We'll have to rent it when it comes out on DVD.
The second movie was Night at the Museum 2, but I had to get home. I was miserable! So we left.
I have a lot of good memories from drive-in movies. I remember seeing Three Men and a Baby at the drive-in. And then I went straight home and wrote down the plot for like 10 pages in my journal. Why am I such a nerd? I really need to go back through my journals and rip out like half of them. And then type the rest of them up. And omit all the stupid crushes I had on boys who didn't know I existed. I was a winner.
I remember we went with a bunch of friends in high school, and Keli B. brought a portable grill to cook hamburgers. But she forgot a spatula. So she found an old window-scraper in her car to flip the burgers, and the plastic melted all over the grill. It was really funny.
I used to get these big steroid allergy shots once every summer, and it would take care of me for the whole summer. They don't do those anymore, which is a shame. They felt like peanut butter being injected into my hip. The lady at the clinic always remembered which butt cheek she shot last on each patient. I don't know how she did it. She never wrote it down. And the shot would hurt for about 24 hours and buzz me for about 24 hours. I couldn't sleep. So I always arranged my shots around a night I knew I would be at a drive-in movie. And I had no problem staying awake!!
Once a bunch of friends were meeting at the drive-in, and my friend Gregg gave me a ride. As we entered the parking area, he was blasting the song, "American Woman," from his car. Everyone looked at us, and I was so embarrassed. :)
Hooray for drive-ins!!

7 comments:

Nat said...

I felt so bad for you that night, with your allergy attack. That's funny about your friend's "spatula". Once I went to the drive in with a bunch of friends, and the second movie was Mission Impossible 1, and I totally fell asleep! I still haven't seen that movie, because every time I try to watch it I still fall asleep! Drive ins: good times, good times.

Nat said...

Oh, and Ivy uses sippy cups, except for her bottle of milk before bed. For some reason, she drinks, like two gulps when it's in a sippy, but from a bottle she'll drink the whole thing. So don't feel bad about the whole weaning thing. Yet. If he's, like, 4, then I would worry.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I remember going to the drive in once when I was like 11 I think. We watched the movie about a kid trying to find his parents at christmas time or something? And then there was an adult movie, but I fell asleep by that point. I think it would be fun to take the kids and go but Ice Age 3 is the last movie Mark would ever want to see!! LOL

Jonas was still using a bottle when he was 2. At least for juice he would only drink it out of a bottle, but when Brynnan was born we had to wean him because I was horrible at washing bottles and so they would all pile up. I wouldn't feel bad about Micah either. Even Jonas still uses a sippy cup. I don't know if I'll ever give those up! Their so convenient!!

Sorry this is so long! LOL

Jenny said...

oh man, i miss drive-ins, although i don't think there is ANY way i'm brave enough to take our kids right now. they are a lot of work. i'm sure they'd like the movie, but . . . maybe when they're older.

Gifford Family said...

Looks like so much fun. I haven't been to the drive-in in years. Micah is getting so big!

Amy said...

I haven't been to a drive-in for years. There was one nearby, but they closed it down and built some houses. I think Ethan was a few months old the last time we went. Memories! I wonder if there is one close... I'll have to check that out!

Beej said...

I love the picture of mom and dad with the sun setting. It is pretty. Go sundevils!!

I also love the picture of Lex. She is so funny and so photogenic. Even when she is making a weird face, she still looks beautiful. It's not fair.

And I really like how good my Michael Jackson moves came out. Nice! Rest in peace MJ.

Yeah, drive-in movies aren't so much for watching. Besided you can hardly hear it and barely see anything on the screen. I think it is just the atmosphere. I remember seeing Peter Pan when we were little.

Even though I was busy that night, I love helping the kids. I miss them so much and it makes my heart ache that I can't play with them more often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...