Monday, March 15, 2010

The Traveling Man

Ben went on a little business trip to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. I was tres jealous. I really, really wish I could accompany him on such trips. But, you know, I have these kids... So I get to stay here and play Single Mom for a week.

The two trips he has been on are basically conferences for schools. One in October was for all of the school superintendents in the whole state of Missouri, I think. And then this one was for all of the private schools in California. So these school people get together and talk about how they're going to build new schools on small budgets, etc. etc. And people that are involved in the building of schools set up shop in the foyer of these conference centers and say, "You should hire us as your contractors!" "You should hire us as your architects!" etc. etc.

And really, the dome structure (which Ben's company specializes in) is much cheaper to build and power than a normal, square-type of school. So that's what Ben and usually one of the engineers go and present to the school people. And Ben does a good job of dressing up a dome to look cool and interesting.

Ben does well schmoozing with people, so he usually makes some good contacts at these things, which drums up some good business for his company.

Anywho, he had a couple of hours off one day, so he went over to Fisherman's Wharf (which was near the conference center where he was working) and got his fam some stuff. He got all three kids these t-shirts (Micah was napping when I snapped this photo):

And then he got me this very cool scarf:


I actually have a shirt that matches it! Awesome.

I was SO GLAD to have him back home. It's just so nice to have him around. Even if he isn't necessarily helping with the kids (or dishes or laundry or sweeping or bathrooms or anything, really), it's nice to have him here. And though he doesn't volunteer for anything in the above list, I can always ask him to do those things, and he will do them for me. When he's not here, I don't have anyone to whom I can say, "I've had it with the kids today. Will you bathe them and put them to bed while I lie on the couch and try not to barf??" So I'm really glad he's back.

And next time, I need him to get off the couch to take a picture of me. Pictures from below=fat double chin exposure.

3 comments:

Nat said...

What awesome gifts! Sorry you couldn't go; Pete will have to start attending conferences, too, I think starting next year. And I'm like, family trip? But they aren't ever in cool places like Dad's were; instead they're in, like... Fargo, ND. Random places. So he might be going to those with just his boss.

Anonymous said...

I think I would literally DIE without Mark!! I don't know how single moms do it!! You're amazing! I'm glad you survived. The presents are fun. I love that scarf on you! I could never pull it off.

Lyndsay said...

Cute scarf! I HATE it when Brad has to be out of town. Thankfully that hasn't happened for years, but I have a feeling it may happen again soon. I just don't sleep good without him!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...