Wednesday, December 23, 2009

English to the Rescue!!

One of my college roommates accidentally called me "English" instead of "Karlenn" one time. She was going to ask me an English-related question and made a Freudian slip, I guess. We laughed so hard about that. She still refers to me as "English" in her Christmas cards to me.

Because I was an English major, I had to write maybe three essays per week all through college. In addition to reading roughly three novels per week. It was a killer. Writing essays became like breathing to me. Because it was all I did. (And yes, "Because it was all I did" is a sentence fragment. But that fragment is part of my writing "voice." So it's acceptable. :) )

People ask me to help them with their essays all the time. I helped a couple of my Laurels with their high school essays (and still help a graduated Laurel with her college papers). I helped Ben A LOT with his master's thesis. A LOT. It's a good thing he dedicated the hard-bound book he had to make of his thesis, to me. Because I helped A LOT with it. I helped my sis, Beads, with her essays to get into grad school.

About a month ago, I helped another sis, Lex, with her essays to get into grad school. Lex is very into science. Not so much into essays. We worked long and hard:

Eric tagged along and kept the kids occupied. They played Bakugan for awhile:

Then things got a little wild:


When Eric encouraged Dylan to shoot Lex with his little Nerf gun (you can see the fluorescent bullet to the right of Lex's head), we decided to put the kids down for a nap.


And we banned Eric to the green chair:

Eric has joined the Man-Boy club. Ben is president:

Eric can be Vice-President. :)

6 comments:

The Dillons said...

I can't sleep so I am reading yours right away. Wanted to see if I can get points ;) Your kids are so funny, they crack me up and so do you! "Man-boy club hahaha

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I've never been good at writing essays! I hate them, in fact! I don't think I ever got a good grade on one. LOL That's great that you're so helpful to others! Looks like the kids had a good time with Eric!:)

Mindy H. said...

Such is the English teacher's lot in life. My mother spent years editing all of our essays for school and all of my dad's talks for Church. I get weird requests for editing all the time now...Christmas newsletters for relatives, essays for friends, even a family history book that one of my student's mothers paid me to edit. I guess being a grammar ninja is both a blessing and a curse.

Nat said...

Dude, you should totally be an editor, or tutor for Sylvan or something. YAY English skills!

Emily Empey said...

hahahaha LOVE IT

Patty said...

I know who can be secretary.... or treasurer. I like that you're English-y and grammatical. It makes talking with you much more enjoyable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...