Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs, Revisited

Dylan has a hard time sitting in his chair and eating meals. He is always falling off his chair; he wiggles just that much. Ben had enough one night and fastened Dylan to his chair with his belt.

A year ago, I mentioned in this post about one of my favorite childhood books, Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs. This reminds me of that book.


Unfortunately, the belt just caused more wiggles, whines, and pouting from Dylan. It reminds me of when I was a teacher. This one kid just couldn't ever keep his mouth shut. I had nicknamed him Running Commentary Boy. One day, I jokingly said that we needed to put duct tape on his mouth. He was like, "Can we please? I'm serious. I'm tired of getting sent into the hallway for talking." I was like, "Sure, go for it." So he puts a piece of duct tape over his mouth, but it didn't really help. He would just grunt and yell inside his mouth even louder. He was even more disruptive than he had been before. So after five minutes, I told him to throw the dang tape away and do his work.

Boys are just hyper. That is what I have decided.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Man! Brynnan is the same way! I hope we don't have to tie him to his chair as he gets older! LOL

Layton Mom said...

I can't tell you the number of times we have threatened Ila with that. I don't know how else to keep her still, maybe it's the age.

Unknown said...

with our family it's the time of the evening. Serious, My kids CAN be still.... right after goober gets home from school.... but dinnertime? FORGET IT! NO WAY!

Patty said...

I can't believe Ben belted Dylan to a chair. How very sensible.

I hope for girls.

Nat said...

That's so funny! I barely remember anything about that book, and I think I even borrowed it from mom! I'll have to read it to my kids one of these days.

Darling Details said...

when we had wigglers in school, we'd let them do homework on one of those huge yoga ball things. it lets them wiggle a little, but doesn't bug you too much. You'd probably want a stand under it so he doesn't roll away from the table! Good luck.
marci

The Dillons said...

Amen! Boys are sooo hyper! That is a great story wiht the boy and duct tape. There is a little boy at my preschool that I can see doing that in a few years haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...