Monday, January 26, 2009

Chelan Shenanigans

I've just got a bunch of random shots of everyone from our time in Chelan during Christmas.

Here is Gloria, making some yummy pies. You can bet I ate a lot of her pie dough. Yum:



Greg has this head massagey thingey:




It looks really sharp and uncomfortable, but I'm telling you, it feels like heaven to have your head massaged by that.



Here's Dylan, with Grandma's theraband thingey:







You're supposed to kind of take sideways steps; this works the muscles in your legs, butt, and hips. Dylan was having sooo much fun with it:
















Gloria didn't have a high chair, so to feed Micah, one of us would hold him while the other one fed him. But then Ben came up with this ingenious idea:







We tied him to the chair. I smiled to myself, because it reminded me of one of my favorite childhood books, Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs:







I wish I had the book with me to scan the specific page I'm thinking of; maybe some other time. My mom still has that book, and I would love to buy a copy of my own to read to my kids at home. Anyways, the kid in this book has a grandma and a great-grandma. The great-grandma lives with the grandma, because she's old and feeble. Her bedroom is upstairs. So the kid calls her "Nana Upstairs." And the other grandma kind of hangs out downstairs, so she is called "Nana Downstairs." Nana Downstairs has to tie Nana Upstairs to a chair when she wants to sit up, so that she won't fall out. So the kid has Nana Downstairs tie him up in a chair as well, and he and Nana Upstairs sit there and eat ice cream together. So cute. So Micah being tied to the chair reminded me of that.


There is a place just outside of Chelan called Blueberry Hill, and it has the most amazing burgers and shakes in the world. We went there one day for lunch, and the devils that run the place have all of this candy lining the walls for buying. Of course, the kids were begging for candy the whole time we were eating lunch, and we obviously didn't have any money to buy anything for them (Do we ever have money? No!!). Well, right before we left Blueberry Hill to go home, Gloria, whom we have nicknamed The Spoiler, bought the kids some enormous lollipops. Dylan's "before" shot:







And the "after" shot:







We didn't take a picture of Sadie eating her lollipop, because a few seconds after she started licking it, she said, "I hate dat," and didn't touch it again. She is so fickle.

Here is Micah, practicing his sitting:


















I'm extremely excited to say that he is finally sitting by himself, something he just barely mastered! He's a lot happier, now that he can sit up and look around. Now we need to get him interested in crawling. He's been observing other kids his age and thinking about it. We shall see.













Dylan, with a bubble-blowing bottle that looks like a rocket:













And I wish we could have gotten a better video of the following. Gloria lay down between the kids every night and sang them these old songs that her mom used to sing to her when she was a kid. Our camera died when Ben tried to video it, but we got a teeny clip of her lying down with them and trying to decide what to sing to them:















Even though she is The Spoiler, she is a fantastic grandma. Very hands-on. Always playing with the kids. I have amazing in-laws.

3 comments:

Gifford Family said...

Looks like you guys had a great vacation!

Alexis Mayo said...

Looking at the pic of Micah reminded me of when Danika was born. She had no desire to stand up on your lap or put pressure of any kind on her legs. At her 9 mth old visit they found out that her bum crack was crooked and thought maybe she had a minor spinal problem. They gave me some options of what to do (from getting an MRI to in-home therapy) we went with the latter and after about 4 months she was walking- we call it "Danika Time" in that she was lazy and realized that she could roll everywhere she needed to go so why should she start crawling/walking? It was very scary for a while but with the help of the therapist and just realizing that she is on her own time everything worked out!!

BlueberryKari said...

I really love your post! Thank you for the kind words about Blueberry Hills! It's so heartwarming to hear the stories from the other side of it -- and totally LOVE the before and after shots of the sucker! I was wondering if you'd mind if I used them on our Facebook page or website potentially? They're HILARIOUS! And we do sell a LOT of those evil suckers. ;)

Please email me, if you would, at blueberrykari@gmail.com

THANK YOU!

Kari Sorensen (aka Blueberry Kari :)
Owner & GM BBH

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...