Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day Home

We were able to pick Gage up from the hospital the morning after I was discharged. I was soooo excited to get this little man home. I seriously started squealing when I got the call from the NICU that we were clear to come get him. Look at how teeny he is in his car seat:

Feeding the little man at home:



The Mama stopped by to get in some snuggling:

She came down with a horrible cold and pinkeye a couple of days later, so for the whole next week, she steered clear of Gage. I was grateful for that. I didn't want him to get sick when he's just so little. However, we did rush him to his pediatrician's office later in the evening on that same day that we brought him home. He was working really hard to breathe. We tried to suction him with those little booger sucker thingeys, but it wasn't doing much for him. His doc, after much listening to his lungs, discovered that he was just stuffed up in his nose. His nurse dripped some saline into each nostril, and then suctioned, and voila. Booger city. His doc decided that having that awful ventilation tube going through his nose down to his lung kind of irritated the sinuses, causing the boogerness. I was so glad it wasn't something worse. He breathed easily from then on.

We gave him a bath that night:

Ben is so smart. He put Gage's towel in the dryer for a few minutes before we took him out of the sink. He was loving the warmth of the towel:


Heck, I love warm towels. And those warmed-up blankets they put on you in the hospital. Ahhh.

Gage, as Ben said in a blessing he gave me months ago, has been such a blessing in our home. He is a really good sport. He is on a fantastic eating/playing/sleeping schedule. He's happy snuggling with us or hanging out in his bouncy chair or swing. I've never, ever had such a happy newborn. It's awesome. I'm just soaking up every moment with him, because I know he is my last child. I cuddle him and kiss his little perpetually-wrinkled forehead and stroke his peach fuzz on his back. I smell his hair and stroke his soft little cheeks. I adore him. I'm so, so happy he is in our family.

And I am so, so happy not to be pregnant anymore. :)

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Newborns are the best. And nice job Ben with the warm towel. Smart thinking.

Emily Empey said...

ahhh i just love that little man!!!!! He is so darn precious!!!! I am glad he is home now and i cant wait to come cuddle him again!

Nat said...

Oh, warm towels ARE the best! As are warm jeans...

Gifford Family said...

Cute, Cute, Cute little guy! I am so glad things are going so well. It is so nice to have a cooperative baby :) Ivy was mine! She was such an easy going baby... Glad Gage has been so good!

Anonymous said...

Aaaww! He's such a cutie!! I'm so glad he's such a good baby for you! That's a good idea with the warm towel! I think I'll try that next time:)

Camille said...

I can't believe how TINY he looks in his car seat!! Like a little peanut - for real.
Your hubs is a good man - he's taking good care of that little one! So cute that he loves to bathe the babies.

Mindy H. said...

Wow! Gage is just so teensy tiny! I am so glad that he finally made it home. I hope everything keeps going well for him and for you and for the rest of your fab family!

Lyndsay said...

He is so super duper tiny! Ahhh, just love him and enjoy each and every moment! They grow up too fast!!! I miss my little newborn babies!! And I recognize that blanket! Hope he likes it!!!

Carrie said...

He is so tiny and sweet. You look great. Isn't life wonderful not being preggo. You may be sleep deprived, but at least you aren't pregnant and sleep deprived.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...