Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Boating Blues

Well, my pops sold his boat.


I cannot even begin to express how sad this makes me, yet I understand his reasoning - we didn't use it enough to warrant the cost of winterizing, boarding, fixing, upkeep, etc. Nat and I inherited the sand toys and beach chairs, which my kids have been using as their own personal TV-watching chairs:


Boating was just such a huge part of my life as a teenager and onward. Nothing beats cutting across glassy water in a waterski. Nothing is funnier or more painful than getting dumped while riding the tube at top speed. I'd like to think that there is waterskiing in heaven. The first time Ben asked me out, he asked me if I liked to waterski. It was a match made in heaven. :) Can you indulge me in a little visual walk down Boating Memory Lane?

Me, 1993, at Bear Lake:


Nat and I get this thing when we waterski, where just the hairs around our face get really frizzy and curly. We call it our halo. We could be in a Jane Austen movie with those curls.

Also at Bear Lake in 1993:

Bear Lake is shallow. And usually not waterski-friendly. You have to really work hard to ski on such choppy water.

Mom in 1999 at Palisades Lake, our favorite haunt:

She just couldn't be any cuter.

Me and Nat in 1999 (also at Palisades), "surfing":


Dylan in 2004 at Bear Lake:

My nephew, Brock, in 2005. Look at those cheeks:

Brock and his flowing locks, same year, with his Aunt Lex:

Me, pregnant with Sadie, acting as a beached whale:

Beads and her hubby, Spencer, 2006:

Me and Sadie, 2006:

Brock, asleep on the boat, 2006:

Ben wakeboarding, 2006 (I think he is so handsome):

Brianna in 2007 (Palisades' shores are rocky and muddy - she fell on her patoot):

My bro-in-law, Pete, teasing Dylan at Lake Tahoe, 2007:

Sadie Lou, 2009:

Ah, goodbye, boat. I will miss you so, so much.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

I can see why you have the boating blues!! I would too. I have been thinking it is time for us to start saving up for a boat. Neither Josh or I grew up with one, but I think they are fantastic for family's.

Emily Empey said...

how fun! I would be so sad too! fun pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

That's too bad he sold it! Looks like your family had a lot of fun time with that boat!!

Unknown said...

I had the same blues when my dad sold our snow machines... and every once in a while he talks about selling the boat too (but my mom won't let him lol).

Mindy H. said...

The end of an era... I feel your pain. Boating is such a blast. I guess you will just have to come visit me and play in our beautiful river :-D

Camille said...

Ahhh - how fun - I loved that stroll down "boating lane" that first picture - reminds me of the Kar I know!!! and I also LOVED the pic of baby Dylan - he looks just the same except smaller!
We've been thinking it might be time to trade our wave runners in for a boat.....I think they are better for families with kids, but we just love the wave runners so much - it's hard letting go. We'll see.

Camille said...

Oh - and I see you went to Tahoe - tell me about that - how was it? We've been thinking about going there - is it worth the trip?

Nat said...

I hated boating for a really long time. But then I liked it. Tube wars were always the best! And almost falling off where you're dragging in the water on the tube, and then pulling yourself back up is the ultimate victory feeling!

lexykay said...

i am so, so broken hearted that dad sold the boat. i haven't been able to water ski in 2 years (he sold it this year and my surgery was last year)! I'm so sad!!! will i ever have the feeling of gliding across glass water at palisades again?? it feels like it was SUCH a huge part of my childhood and growing up. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...