Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Poor Lex.

My poor, cute sister just had her fifth knee surgery a couple of days ago. Nat and I went to visit her at the hospital. I brought her a sno cone - Peaches and Cream (with real cream), her fave. And my fave, too. Although I had a Mango and Cream last night and was loving it. Basically, anything plus cream is a good bet. Patty disagrees with me. Mom and Dad were there, too, and we hung around and ate chips and salsa and gossiped about Jon and Kate Plus 8.

Lexi is hilarious when she's on drugs. Soooooooo lovey. Every few minutes, she's like, "Karlenn, I just love you so much." "I love you, Karlenn. I love you." It's really cute. And she would repeat herself a lot: "Dad, do you have my earring? I need to put it back in, or my ear hole will grow in..." "Dad, where's my earring? Do you have my earring? I need to put it in right now." "Where's my earring, Dad? Do you know where it is? What if my ear grows in?" She swore up and down that the veggie burrito my mom got her had meat in it. "Why did they give me meat? Mom, did you order the right thing?" "I hate meat! Why did you get me a meat burrito, Mom?" "I swear there's meat in here. Why would they do that??" And on and on about the meat. She made Nat and Mom taste the "meat," and it turned out to be clumps of dark rice. As she was eating her Peaches and Cream, she was like, "Kar, did I ever tell you that this is my favorite flavor?" "Peaches and Cream is my fave, Kar! This is soooooooo good. How did you know to get me Peaches and Cream?" "Oh my gosh. Peaches and Cream is my all-time favorite."

She actually got two parts from two different cadavers put into her knee. ~Shudder~ I get sympathy pains so badly. Hopefully her body won't reject the tissue. It's so humbling to think about two young girls, somewhere in the nation, who are now dead, but their knee parts are in Lexi's knee...

She has this cool machine that she has to use for 8 hours a day. It bends and straightens your knee for you while you rest. And she has to use crutches for six weeks. As soon as she's able to move around more, and as soon as the weather cooperates, I'm taking her outside a lot for picnics and whatnot. Poor cute girl. I hope this is the last surgery she has to see.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I hope Lexi is feeling better soon. You are such a good sister to go see her and bring her treats. That would be so nice to live close to my sisters.

Megann said...

Good thing she dropped out of To Bone and Back. I hope my knees don't go bad one day. Get Well Lexi!

Nat said...

That first night she seemed pretty lucid, until the next day, where she asked me the same things over and over on the phone. So funny how drugs will do that to people.

lexykay said...

i need to defend myself here. i DO loooove you kar. and i was worried about the earring thing because dad kept not giving it to me to put in. the snow cone thing was sheer drug talk though. i've been offering parts of my no bake cookies to all my nurses :) thank you for helping me out through this surgery. all of my family has been soooo helpful. :)

Mindy H. said...

Surgery is NOT fun... but I agree that the after-effects can be pretty funny sometimes. I'm sure Lexi is glad to have a family that takes such good care of her. Snowcones really can cure a mulititude of ills. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...