Monday, September 15, 2014

The Lesson - How can I learn to serve more effectively in the church? - What I did.

I didn't do "Making Connections" during this particular week.  I told them we were going to be talking about serving in the church and dove right into this part:

  • Ask the youth to share stories from the scriptures in which someone was given a difficult assignment and received help from the Lord (for some ideas, see the scriptures suggested in this outline). If possible, help them find pictures of these stories in the Gospel Art Book. What inspires them about these stories? What do they learn from these stories about fulfilling callings?
 So for this part, I thiiiiink I split the kids into groups and gave each group a corresponding picture to each of these scriptures.  This is a picture of Jeremiah having the Lord touch his mouth to help him speak better:

And then I gave them this little paper with it:

Read Jeremiah 1:5-9. 

1.               Be prepared to share the story from these verses with the rest of the class.
2.               What inspires you about this story?


3.               What do you learn from this story about fulfilling callings?

This is the picture of King Benjamin:

And here is the paper that I gave the second group with the picture:

Read Mosiah 2:11.

            1.  Be prepared to share the story from these verses with the rest of the class.
2.  What inspires you about this story?


3.  What do you learn from this story about fulfilling callings?

This is a picture of Enoch speaking with the Lord:


And its corresponding paper:

Read Moses 6:31-34.

            1.  Be prepared to share the story from these verses with the rest of the class.
2.  What inspires you about this story?



3.  What do you learn from this story about fulfilling callings?

  • Bring a magnifying glass to class, and ask the youth what it is used for. Ask them what the word magnify means to them. Why do they think this word is used to describe how we should serve in our callings (in the phrase “magnify your calling”)? Invite them to read President Henry B. Eyring’s talk “Rise to Your Call” (beginning with the phrase “There is a third thing you need to know”), looking for ways the Lord magnifies us when we serve in a calling. Ask them to write what they find on the board. Share a personal experience in which the Lord magnified you to help you fulfill a calling.


Kay, so for this part, I just prepared a stiff posterboard with this big old magnifying glass on it - you could easily draw it on the board.  I probably split them up in pairs and had them each read a section from President Eyring's talk and had them write notes on a separate sheet of paper, then come up to the posterboard and write their answers in the big magnifying place.

  • Invite each class member to read one of the scriptures suggested in this outline, looking for principles the Lord teaches about fulfilling callings. Ask the youth to share what they find. What do these scriptures inspire them to do?
All I can find in my archives is this:


I really feel like I would have incorporated more scriptures than just this one.  And I probably would have given each kid one, since they already worked in groups and pairs.  I think I would have also put this at the end of the lesson as a  nice wrap-up.  So if I was you, I'd use the remaining scriptures that we didn't hit on in the class and make little slips of paper for each of them like this one above.

I'm so sorry this is so spotty.  It was a busy time for me, and I don't have my lesson plans all typed out.  But if this helps in some way, I'm good with that.












6 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for this post! I just got called into Sunday School and I've found there aren't as many resources for help (at least that I've been able to find so far) with Sunday School (compared to how much there is on Pinterest about Young Women -- which I was just released from). Anyway, thanks again!

erica said...

I too just got called to this calling and I appreciate the time you've taken to share your lesson ideas. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have loved all of your lessons in the year and a half i have been teaching ss. When I look at my topic and my brain cant get going with ideas I know I have your awesome lessons to use as my starting point:) thank u!!!!!

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton handbags, burberry outlet, longchamp outlet, nike free, air max, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin shoes, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, nike shoes, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, coach factory outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, air max, jordan shoes, coach purses, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags

oakleyses said...

celine handbags, nfl jerseys, bottega veneta, new balance shoes, p90x, rolex watches, ugg boots clearance, valentino shoes, ugg boots, uggs outlet, mont blanc, soccer jerseys, longchamp, jimmy choo outlet, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, birkin bag, hollister, insanity workout, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, instyler, wedding dresses, herve leger, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, north face jackets, nike roshe run, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, ugg australia, beats by dre, mcm handbags, canada goose, north face outlet, canada goose, marc jacobs, lululemon outlet, chi flat iron, giuseppe zanotti, soccer shoes, canada goose, babyliss pro, uggs, asics running shoes, ugg, ugg boots, ghd

oakleyses said...

baseball bats, links of london, timberland boots, canada goose, canada goose uk, louboutin, hollister clothing store, ugg, moncler outlet, vans, pandora charms, gucci, karen millen, hollister, oakley, pandora jewelry, lancel, moncler, coach outlet store online, toms shoes, air max, louis vuitton, rolex watches, ralph lauren, converse, moncler, ugg, supra shoes, swarovski crystal, hollister, ray ban, wedding dresses, converse shoes, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, thomas sabo, pandora charms, swarovski, parajumpers, iphone 6 cases, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, montre homme, moncler, air max

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...