Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Our Chipmunk

Micah has two therapists, an occupational therapist and a developmental therapist. He was officially diagnosed "developmentally delayed" when he was just an infant, and though I don't feel that he is delayed that much anymore, his therapists still think he is, so they still come. And I don't mind it. It's free, so why not have someone come and play with him for two hours every week, right?

Micah's developmental therapist is, like, eighty years old. Seriously. And probably once per month, she can't come over because she has this sickness or that sickness. I can't believe she's still working at her age! She is really, really sweet, though. Her name is Eunice. (I smile whenever I say her name, because it reminds me of a character in one of my favorite movies, What's Up, Doc? I really need to own that movie.) She works with Micah on color recognition, matching, puzzles, and a little bit with speech. (We had him tested for speech, and apparently, he's doing well enough not to need a speech therapist. I disagree with the test results, but oh well. I'll have him tested through the school district when he turns three.)

The Infant/Toddler Program just renewed/didn't renew contracts with each of its therapists a couple of months ago. Eunice is still with us, but Lisa, Micah's occupational therapist, didn't have her contract renewed. That made me sad. I really liked Lisa. We have a new OT, Melissa.

I really like Melissa. We mesh well. She's funny and kind of edgy. The first week that she came, she brought some toys with different textures. She wanted to see if Micah was having any kind of sensory-perception problems. He did just fine. Then she asked if we had any rice that we could put into a container, to get Micah to play in the rice. I guess some kids with sensory perception disorder cannot stand the feel of dry rice. So I got our rice out. She hid some small toys in the rice and had Micah dig them out. He had no problem. In fact, he started throwing rice all over my living room. That was pretty awesome. So, apparently, SPD isn't an issue with him.

After Micah was done with his rice extravaganza, the kids begged me if they could play in the rice, as well. I let them have at it. They had a blast:

I've always liked the feel of dry rice in big containers. Same with dry beans in big containers, like they have in the grocery store.

Melissa hasn't brought any more toys over since that first week. For the past two months, she has been working on Micah with his eating. She and I differ a little bit on our opinion of Micah's eating issues. Micah, as most toddlers, is very picky. He likes bread, cheese, bologna, bananas, the norm toddler fare. If we give him something he doesn't like, he will either a) not touch it, or b) pocket it in his cheeks, like a little chipmunk. And there it stays, FOREVER. For at least a few hours, or until a parent gets sick of it and tells Micah to go spit the food in the garbage. It's nuts. Get it? Chipmunk? Nuts? I'm so punny.

I don't care if he pockets food that he doesn't like. To me, he's doing the equivalent of spitting his food in his napkin, sitting at the table for hours without touching his food, or trying to throw his food into the garbage when his folks aren't looking. (I did all of the above when I was a kid. I totally didn't get away with the garbage trick. Dang it. And to this day, I still hate potato soup.)

But to Melissa, this pocketing business is so perplexing. It really gets under her skin. Every single week, she has me serve Micah lunch. It has to be all food that he doesn't like. She sits there for an hour, trying to make Micah chew and swallow the hated foods. Sometimes it goes well; other times, not. Once, she and he fought over one grape. ONE GRAPE. For an entire hour. Sometimes he'll eat for her, if she spoon-feeds him, but mainly, they sit there. A war of wills.

I'm fine with her using up her entire hour on one grape. She can knock herself out. The problem is, now she wants ME to do this with him. She wants me to sit with him at every meal, spoon- or fork-feeding him one bite at a time, begging him to chew and swallow, until all of the food is gone. Which could take hours, folks. And she wants me to only serve him foods that he hates.

It's a nice sentiment, but seriously, I do not have that kind of time. I don't even have time to shower some days. Yesterday, I didn't get to shower until eleven at night. I wore jammies all day long. This "four kids" business is insanely busy.

Melissa is single and doesn't have kids. So I don't think she really understands how crazy my life is right now. Every week, she asks if I've only been serving Micah foods that he hates. Every week, I sheepishly tell her that no, when I'm really busy, I offer both foods that he likes and foods that he doesn't like, because if I don't have the time to spoon-feed him, then at least he's getting some kind of nutrition. Then she gives me the third degree. What did I feed him this morning? Did he eat it? Did he feed himself? What other foods did I give him this week? Did I spoon-feed him?

Maybe I'm an enabler. Maybe I'm not keeping my child's best interests in mind. But I seriously don't think I'll ever have three hours per day to spoon-feed my child who is perfectly capable of spoon-feeding himself. I can't force him to like foods he doesn't like. I can't force him to chew and swallow. It's physically impossible. We're on WIC, and whenever they test the iron in Micah's blood, he passes with flying colors. He's in the 75th percentile in his weight and height. I'm not concerned about his eating. I'd rather her spend more time with fine motor skills or whatever the heck they think he still needs.

Gage got referred to the Infant/Toddler program because he was a NICU baby. They just sent me a letter, saying, "Call us! Let's screen him for problems!" Part of me wants to just throw that letter away. I don't think I can handle any more therapists in my life right now.

I'm hoping Melissa gives up the food fight. She's kind of scrappy, and so is Micah, so I wonder if a lot of this is just her not wanting to give in to him and him not wanting to give in to her. I'm so tired of getting the third degree every week that I'm considering making a food log, so that, when she asks a million questions, I can just hand her the log and say, "Here. This is how our week went with feeding. Yes, he hates some foods. Now can we move on??"

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Kar, I completely agree with you. Even when feeding my kids if they get something they don't like... there is no forcing them. They can choose to not eat or to eat what I give them... but that is it.

She does need to lay off of trying to make him like foods he doesn't like... it would be one thing if he didn't like ANYTHING or was only eating out of one food group. But Geeesh, give the kid a break, he's allowed some personality... and your allowed your sanity.

Next time she gives you the third degree maybe ask her if she has 2-3 hours to eat each meal, because that is what she is asking you to do. She is making it IMMENSELY OBVIOUS that she herself does not have children.

She needs to move on to something more productive... and if she can't... well, can you request a different therapist? Obviously her goals and your goals are not in line.

Unknown said...

PS.. the "chipmunking it" could damage his teeth later if he has holding fruit etc (something sugary) against them for long periods of time. I would just ask him to spit it out before he gets down from the table.

Emily Empey said...

wow How annoying! i would seriously go INSANE! ugh I am sorry Kar! I would just get rid of her! haha

Camille said...

Sounds to me like Micah is just being a regular kid. Maybe I'm a bad mom, but I don't MAKE my kids eat anything. Early on my pediatrician told me not to make eating a battle......sounds like that's all she wants and that CAN'T be good for either of you. I don't think you can FORCE feed them if they don't want it.
Good luck - your a good mamma!!

Layton Mom said...

The only thing forcing him to eat will do is make him dislike the food even more. Even if it is only because he remembers the ridiculous battles. I will not eat several things to this day simply because I was forced to eat them as a child. You are his mother and you will make the best decision for the two of you.

Nat said...

Pete and I just rented "What's Up Doc?"! It was so fun to watch again! And Ivy doesn't eat much of anything; neither did my other kids at this age. But then they've all grown out of it. So I think he's being a typical 2-year-old.

Darling Details said...

first, I love Eunice. Love her. I can't believe she is still working and seeing kids. She's that old. She's a fabulous grandma. Tell her Marci Says hi.
Second, You should tell the OT to move on. If you don't like what she's doing, tell her. You're just as much in charge of his therapy as he is. Tell her you want to do more Small motor stuff and you're done with the food. You can request a new therapist if it's a problem, but they don't have a huge staff, so it's hard to get on another caseload. Who is your case manager? they can help out in that area too. She's stuck on a non-issue for you. and if it's not and issue for you, I don't know why she's so driven to make him eat things he doesn't like. Weird. Good luck with that new baby...he's adorable.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That doesn't sound like fun! I totally understand that you don't have time to spoon feed Micah! Even if you did I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to. I hope she lays off the eating soon. Toddlers will be toddlers. Some days they eat healthy food some days they don't. As long as he's growing he's fine, especially if he's in the 75th percentile!! My boys are like in the 40th!:P You should do the food log. Maybe then she'll move on:) Good luck!!

Lyndsay said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? That is insane! I've had kids sit at the table for 3+ hours with food in their mouth! That's how kids are! No way could I spend an hour a day feeding my 2 or 4 year old! That's insane!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...