Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pink EYE! Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, Pink EYE! Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na...

Mikey had Pink Eye a couple of weeks before we had Gage:


And Sadie had it the week after we had Gage:

The poor girl. Dylan and Ben treated her like a freakin' leper. Sadie touched one of Gage's baby toys, and Ben made me disinfect every single toy. Sheesh. And if Sadie was within five feet of Dylan, he would yell, "Get away from me! You have pink eye! You're disgusting!"

Pink Eye really is freaky. I don't like the fact that it's highly contagious, and the fact that I had a newborn at the time. But I was kind to poor Sades. It's not her fault. I had her use her own special hand towel, but I still swapped our hand towel out like once a day, just to be safe. And I washed my hands a ton and made her wash hers a ton, too.

I took Micah in to the doctor when he had it, and we got those antibiotic eye drops. We seemed to have a ton left after we used it for the required seven days, so I kept it. When Sades got Pink Eye, I thought, "Sweet! I'm totally not going in to the doctor! I've got the drops right here! Gonna save me $30!" But we ran out after five days. I was freaking out. I thought for sure it wasn't long enough to have taken those drops, and that the pink eye would come back with a vengeance. I was telling Mom of my concerns, and she said that she had some over-the-counter eyedrops - they aren't antibiotics, but they helped her eyes during her own episodes with pink eye. She offered to bring it over. I said heck yes.

So we start using these herbal drops, or whatever the heck they're made of. And Sadie's eyes keep getting pinker and pinker, and the discharge started up again. I was like, "Crap. These drops aren't strong enough. I'm going to have to take her to the stinkin' doctor." Ben was looking at these herbal drops, and he was like, "Um, Kar, these expired two years ago. Maybe that's why her eyes are irritated."

That is so Mom! It's this cute thing about her - she always has expired food she's trying to pawn off on us. We are always having to double-check expiration dates. Now Expiration Syndrome is delving into her medicine cache. :) I called her and teased her about it, then chucked the drops. I gave it a couple of more days, and sure enough, Sadie cleared right up. The herbal drops were irritating her eyes, after all. I never ended up having to take her to the doc. But I'm telling you what - next time, I'm not going to trust that I have enough antibiotic drops. I'll take whoever to the doctor, first thing. Some things are worth spending $30 for.

2 comments:

Gifford Family said...

Pink eye is the worst!!! I hate hate hate it when my kids get it. So glad Gage didn't catch it.

Nat said...

Ugh, I hate going to the doctor! I wish you could just call and say, hey, can I get some eye drops? Because I know this is pink eye for sure." But NOOOO, you have to go in and have them examine you for 5 million dollars. Sheesh.

I keep old medicine around, too. We have 3-year-old prescriptions that I really should throw away...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...