Friday, February 3, 2012

An almost-falling-down bear hug.


Wait, who took that picture of me???? Hahahaha!

So for about a month after we got back from China, I wasn't able to sign back up at my gym - we just didn't have the moola. But then I was able to start my scanning job at my dad's office again, which helped, so I finally got back to my first spinning class in November.

When I walked into the class, I got nearly-tackled in a huge bear hug by my dear spinning friend, Maggie, followed by a similar hug from my favorite, favorite, favorite spinning teacher, Mattie, and a third by Nancy, my other darling spinning friend. It made me feel so good that I was missed. And it made me feel so good to be back in that class and sweating my guts out again.

I used to be a natural at making friends, right? It was like breathing. But since I got married and had kids, it's just been...weird. And hard. Not easy anymore. Why is that??? Nat and I talk about this all the time. She feels like the same thing has happened to her. Is it because we're distracted and busy with our kids?? Is it because we feel fulfilled in our marriages and don't need fifty thousand friends anymore to fill that void?? I don't know.

All I know is that these friends I've made in my spinning class have made me feel so good. Like the old me, Friend-Making Kar. Like I'm worth getting to know, and that I'm loved. And it makes me happy.

My parents are so sweet - since Ben has been gone, they have offered to watch my kids every Tuesday and Thursday night so I can go to my favorite spinning class. It's so great to get out of the house and away from my kids and sweat like crazy, but maybe even more importantly for me, it's a chance to get out and be with my new friends. My mom is out of town this week, and my dad, who is in the middle of tax season and perpetually wiped out, came and watched my kids so I could go. Now that's a man. Love you, Dad. And thanks.

4 comments:

lexykay said...

Dude, Mom and Dad rule. end of story.
and i SO wish i could go with you in IF! my fav spinning teacher does the thursday class here in pokey, but alas, i work tues/thurs nights so i don't get to go to her class! but i found another teacher that's pretty good. he does a lot of 80s music which can be pretty fun. i'm so glad you're enjoying it so much!!

Emily Empey said...

Fun! Rach and Seth LOVE spinning- I have yet to try it out! Your parents are awesome to watch your kids for ya so you can go!!! Yay! Now would they watch them to go to chilis or costa vida or somewhere??? Hahahaha!

Lyndsay said...

Awww, that is so sweet of your Dad! Yeah for him and your awesome Mom! I always loved your mom!! Glad you get some time to yourself, hopefully those two nights help you keep your sanity for the rest of th eweek!!!

Mindy H. said...

I'm so glad that you are still able to go to your friend/spinning sessions with Ben away. Your parents are so sweet to do that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...