Friday, October 29, 2010

Cup's Birthday, or, Why I Need to Invest in Better Shoes



Pete sometimes calls Jakob, "Cup." Because of the last part of his name - jay-CUP. Jake used to hate it, but I think it doesn't bug him anymore.

Jake's birthday was the day before Gage arrived. It is also the same day as my BFF, Pooh's, birthday, just FYI. He had a friend birthday party, to which he graciously invited Dylan:


It was a swim party - that's Dyl on the tramp, and Jake on the grass. They are such skinny, buff little guys. I lent Nat my slip-n-slide, which, unbeknownst to me, was jacked up and not really working very well (chalk it up to another thing ruined by the Nappy Neighbors). So I dropped that off, along with Dylan, and then went somewhere - I can't remember where.

It was a totally rainy day, but word on the street is that it didn't seem to bug the kids at all. Especially little Ivy. She played and played out in that rain, no prob. This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of her:



She is so stinkin' cute.

When I went to pick up Dylan and the slip-n-slide, I was wearing my crappy flip-flops, and I slipped on Nat's back deck and fell pretty hard on my bumb, down a couple of stairs. It hurt really badly, but just on my butt, and the baby kept moving inside for the rest of the day, so I figured no harm done. Did my spill make him come the next day, a whole month early? We'll never know.

Anyways, back to Jake. I just love that little man. Whenever I go over to Nat's, or when our families are together at my folks' house, he always comes right up to me and talks to me. It makes me feel good about myself. I feel like he likes me, and that makes me happy. He calls me Kar and shows me his latest dance moves and tells me how good he is at reading. He's adorable. I feel a bit of an affinity with him, because I see a lot of myself in him. He really wants everything in his life to be just right, just perfect - that is so how I used to be, and let's face it, still really am. I don't know; he just reminds me of myself at that age, so I kind of have a tender spot in my heart for him. Happy Birthday, Jakey.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Thanks for bringing Dyl over that day-it seemed like he had a blast! (Ivy just saw that pic of her, and she's all, "Ivy! Swimming!" I love that pic of her, too.) And you're a way better aunt than I am-I don't think Dylan has ever shown me anything that he's done.

Lyndsay said...

Awww, how sweet!! I can't believe you fell the day before you gave birth, yeah, that might haveh been related. I totally biffed it on my friend's driveway last week, in my flip flops in the rain. Duh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...