Thursday, May 29, 2008

He's Here!

Sorry I haven't blogged in forever. As you can see, I have a good reason!! Micah arrived this last Friday, May 23rd, at 5:49 a.m. He weighed 7 pounds even, and he was 21 1/2 inches long.

This was a weird labor, because I started contracting Wednesday evening, but they weren't close enough together or painful enough. They were really intense, though, and I couldn't sleep all night on Wednesday night. I continued to have these same weird contractions all the next day. Finally, on Thursday night, after about 30 hours of these kinds of contractions, they started to get more painful and closer together. When I checked in, I was dilated to a 5!! Though they were really painful, they weren't as painful as Dylan's contractions, which was nice.

They immediately gave me my epidural (yay), IV, catheter, etc., and then they told me to take a nap, since it was the middle of the night. They would wake me and check on me every couple of hours. After they checked me and said I was at a 9, I was too excited to go back to sleep. :) I knew it was time to push, because it feels like you're going to poop the bed. So they told me to hold the baby in until the doctor got there. He got there within ten minutes, and it was time to push!

I only had to push through one contraction to get Micah out. His head is much smaller than his siblings' heads! And the doctor was really good about telling me when to pant and when to push, thus saving me the need for tearing or an episiotomy, which has been nice.

When Micah was traveling through the birth canal, he swallowed a bunch of my blood, and he came out not breathing. They had to rush him over to this special table, and there were three nurses hunched around him, suctioning out his stomach and trying to get him to breathe. He didn't breathe for about five minutes, and I was SOOOO scared. I was just sitting there, on the other side of the room, unable to get up, wide-eyed... Luckily, he pulled through, and he's just fine.

Those two days in the hospital were so blissful! I took total advantage of the 48 hours that you're allowed to stay. Micah wasn't satisfied with my colostrum, though. My other kids were good with it, but not this little piggy. We had to supplement him with formula. My milk has since come in, but my entire right...you know...is clogged. I suspect mastitis, because the redness and tenderness on that side extends clear up to my collar bone. I've tried massage, pumping, heat, standing in the shower, etc. etc., but nothing seems to unclog those ducts on that side. It's too painful to breastfeed, so I've been pumping and feeding Micah that way. Sigh. Breastfeeding has never really worked for me. Not that I haven't tried... I'm totally ready to throw in the towel. Or throw in the lansinoh pad, I should say.

Micah had/has jaundice, and we had to rent a bilirubin light and keep him on it, night and day, for five days. He got good blood test results yesterday and today, so we were able to turn in that stupid light today. It made things so hard, to have all this hardware attached to my son. He still has that yellowish tinge, but if the doc says he's okay, I believe him!

Apparently, I had a bladder infection that I didn't know about (the pain in my chest is all I've been able to concentrate on), and the contracting of the bladder made my uterus contract even more than it already does after birth. The contractions were so hard on Wednesday night that they felt like really hard, advanced labor. I was in a ball on the floor, screaming and crying. So Ben rushed me to the hospital, while my parents watched my kids, and they gave me morphine (ahhhhh) and did an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that there were no bits of placenta in there or anything, but the pee sample was what solved that mystery. I'm on pretty heavy pain pills, and of course, antibiotics for my bladder infection. Oh, and I've been constipated, too. So that is also part of why I haven't been blogging - I have just plain felt too crummy. But I'm sure things will get better soon.

Sorry - I'm trying to keep this as short as possible, because I could talk about it all day. But I wanted to show you some pictures of Micah! Ben took a million, but these ones are my favorites. Micah looks like Mr. Magoo. This one really accentuates his Mr. Magoo eyes:

He also likes to look around with just one eye. We call him One-Eyed Willie, a holla to Goonies:


He always has his arms up by his ears, or behind his head, like he's relaxing behind a desk with his feet kicked up:


Ben took our "good camera" to the hospital, and he's such a better photographer than I am. This is a shot of Micah's little feeties:


And here's a cute one of him looking at the camera. He looks like Dylan looked as a newborn, so I'm sure we'll have a little Dylan Twin running around. I can tell his eyes are going to be big and beautiful, like Dylan's:


We are sooo excited to have Micah in our family. He's a sweet little man, and he's so tiny! I've never had one this small before, and it's kind of fun! Birth is such a miracle, and I'm really grateful that he survived it, and that he and I are (relatively) healthy. I just love him so much!!

15 comments:

Layton Mom said...

Kar he is beautiful! Things can only get better from here right!

Gifford Family said...

Congratulations! I wish I went in to labor on my own, I am always induced! What was he... two weeks early? I am glad you are both doing well (considering what you guys have been through) Labor is not easy for mom or baby. I hope you start feeling better soon.

anjie said...

He is so cute!!!!! I love the one with his arms up behind his head! Sorry to hear all the downs you've had to deal with! Get well QUICK!! Better luck with nursing. Get some sleep. ha ha. I'm so happy for you.

Amy said...

Wow! It sounds like you have had quite the run with this one! Hopefully things will settle down and you can get into a groove with everything. Glad to see some more pictures. He is a cutie. Hang in there. Three was a BIG adjustment for me and threw me for a loop for a while. You can do it- and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful. I have a card for you (I just have to get it ready to mail)Also I sent you something (it is coming from Ohio so when you see a starnge return address It is from me!) I am so sorry to hear you have masitis (sp) 3 times with Ry. I hope you continue to heal and feel better soon. I have been thinking of calling you but I know how busy 3 kids can be and when one is a newborn in the wallabe (shawna was on that thing for 10 long days). Try to relax and do not over do it. :)
Sorry for the novel

Norlund Clan said...

Congratulations!! He is so adorable.

deannah said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I've never seen so many newborn pictures with their eyes open! Very impressive. I can't believe all that he's put you through already. Yikes. I hope things only get calmer for you!

Unknown said...

Wow, scary! and Congrats! glad everything is ok. Sorry you feel like crpa though.... :P hope that passes soon :)

Michelle said...

You made it Karlenn! Congrats! He is adorable, though I thought he looked more like Sadie from the pics.

Hope you feel better soon. I had a bladder infection after Emily too and you're right about the pain. Who knew it could be so awful! I've always thought recovery was far worse then labor/birth.

Congrats again!

Kara & Levi said...

Ohhhh he is so cute! His skins looks so soft, I love newborn skin. How is everything going??? I've been out of this past week, we celebrated our anniversary last weekend and work is busy...I had no idea until now that you had Micah! Congrats!!! Yay, back to being a little more comfortable for you!

Jenny said...

congratulations karlenn! what a beautiful little guy! so glad he made it here safely and that your shared your birth story w/ us! love birth stories! hope you're feeling better soon! post more pictures!

Lynita said...

I love the Mr. Magoo pic! He is so adorable! Congrats to you and the whole family. Those 5 mins. after he was born were probably so scary, but I am glad he is okay now. I am sorry that your last week has not been so fun, but things will regulate very soon! I am so happy for you too! Oh by the way we are having another boy too!

Autumn said...

Oh he's precious! Congratulations! I started having my suspicions about why you weren't posting anything and I'm glad that everything is going well with Micah now. Sorry you're feeling so crumy! Take care of yourself and don't forget to try to nap as much as you can, that was my saving grace! Love ya!

Gabriel Growing Up said...

Congrats! Micah is adorable, and I'm not just saying that because it's what you're supposed to say, he truly is beautiful! Sorry your labor/recovery hasn't been fun, hope you're feeling better :)

Carrie said...

Way to go Kar! You did it. I must admit reading your entry does not make me excited about going through that in a few months. He is a beautiful baby though, and in after a while the difficulties will be a blur. Right!?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...