Monday, February 8, 2010

Beads for Beads

I had a bunch of beads leftover from my watch-making adventure, so I decided to make a necklace for my sis, Beads, for her birthday. (It's ironic that I made a bead necklace for my sister, who I nicknamed Beads a long time ago.) The only problem was that I didn't know how to make necklaces. :)



When we made our watches at that free class at Porter's, I asked the lady if she would teach me how to make necklaces. She was very, very kind and taught me the basics. You need a wire string to string necklaces, whereas for the watches, you use a plastic-ey string. You need to use these things called crimping beads to make your beads stay in place. All kinds of stuff.


And... drumroll please... the finished product (showcased by my very horrible, fuzzy camera shots):





Cute, huh? Beads tells me she loves it.



My madre also had extra beads from one of her watches, so she came over one day and had me coach her through making a necklace of her own:

I love my mom's reading glasses. They are seriously so cute. And that crusty look that Sadie is giving me is really funny in that shot. She was pissed that she couldn't be more involved in the process.

Voila:


My new goal is to make a necklace for myself sometime. :)

6 comments:

Patty said...

Your mom has such style.
That necklace for Beads was great. I'm seeing a future business in the making!

P.S. The word verification is suBEEDie. What a theme here!

Nat said...

Those turned out so great! I love it. You and mom are just so artsy.

Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty! I'm not one to wear much jewelry. I've always wished that I was, but I just don't get how to match with my clothes. LOL I love the colors you used on Beads' necklace!

lexykay said...

seriously, love love the chunky jewlery! if i wore watches, i would make myself one of the cute ones you guys made; but alas my phone is attached to me evermore so i don't need a watch. by the way i LOVE moms reading classes; i think they're dang cute too. i should make fun of her for needing them but i'm actually a fan. and that last picture of mom is super good! she looks very cute there! cute, cute family and cute, cute jewlery!

Lynita said...

Way cute!! I just bought some stuff to make a necklace for myself, but didn't know about the crimping beads! I have to wait out the blizzard before I hit Michaels, so maybe tomorrow!

Lyndsay said...

Way cute necklace!

I had a dream with your mom in it the other night - I was so excited to see her and told her how happy I was to have found my long lost friend, Kar, on the internet so I can blog stalk her all I want!! Too funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...