Sunday, February 14, 2010

Such a smart-arse.

I went to work one night, and I realized I hadn't helped Dylan do his homework. Which consists of sitting with him and saying, "Pick up the pencil you just dropped, please." "Sit down in your chair, Dylan." "Sit down, Dylan." "Butt in your seat, Dylan." "Write your name at the top, Dylan." "Name. Top. Now." "I can't read your name, Dylan. Erase it and write it so I can tell who is doing this worksheet." And so on and so forth.



It's special.



So I asked Ben to help Dyls with his homework while I was gone. When I came home, Ben was all wrapped up in watching some movie, so instead of asking Ben if he had remembered, I just peeked in Dyl's folder to make sure it got done. It's just the way it is - I have to always make sure Ben has done something I've asked. He's just a teeny-tiny bit forgetful.



This was the top of the worksheet:

And Dylan's answer to question number four:

"I don't"????? Jigga WHAT?



I asked Ben what the H. Had he even sat with Dylan while Dylan did his homework? Yes, he said. They had talked it over and both decided that was the best answer. He argued that we don't know if they're real bears. I told him that the fact that they live in a zoo means that they are real bears. And the fact that the narrator tells us that they're bears.



Ben says, "Well, what if the narrator is crazy, or is a pathological liar?"



"Ben, this is a first grade worksheet, not a high school exercise in narrator reliability."



Ben goes, "And just because they live in a zoo doesn't mean that they're animals."



"Ben, humans don't live in zoos."



"We don't know that. What if the narrator is talking about the stuffed bears in the gift shop?"


"Ben, stuffed bears don't sleep or eat."


"I stand by my answer."



He's such a smart-arse. I woke Dylan up a little early the next morning to scribble out his smart-arse answer and to have him write, in a complete sentence, "I know that they are real bears because the author tells me they are real bears."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard I almost started crying!!! That was hilarious! So, Mark wants to know if Ben didn't check Dyls homework and was playing off as he did. Haha! Thanks for the good laugh Ben! Seriously, that was soooo funny!!

Unknown said...

LOL I would have let him have his answer. I hate worksheets and force kids to always think in the box :)

"I don't know that they are real bears, I have never seen them." would have been a complete sentence for that lol :)

Emily Zoe Hale said...

Haha! What a great story! I am very much looking forward to having kids and having stories like this. Hope you are doing well.

Patty said...

In school, Julie had a worksheet that described when a library was open and when it was closed. Something like "Open: Monday-Friday 9:00AM-8:00PM, Open Saturday 10:00AM-6:00PM Closed Sunday." The question was, "When is the library closed." Julie put, "Monday 8:01 PM-Midnight, Tuesday 12:00AM-8:59 AM and 8:01-Midnight. etc etc etc. She went through every day. My mom thought the answer was really advanced. Her teacher thought Julie was being a smart alec. Sounds like Dylan... is looking a little too far into it.

The Dillons said...

Haha, I am just imagining this conversation :) Did you get arse from FRIENDS, or just heard it somewhere? I think that episode that the lady doesn't really speak well in a British accent was funny. "I'm a complete arse"

Emily Empey said...

haha that is hilarious!!! what a smart arse!!!

Nat said...

Oh, those worksheets. Gotta love 'em! And I love Dyl's and Ben's answer.

Camille said...

Oh my! Kar - you have your hands full with those two - don't you? Sounds like two smart-arse peas in a pod.
Cracked me up though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...