Tuesday, February 2, 2010

News of the Medical Persuasion


Sadie has gotten three UTI's in ONE MONTH. (For those of you who are blessed not to know what those are, they are Urinary Tract Infections.) Her first started on New Year's Eve. They gave her antibiotics. We gave them to her (religiously). We made sure she was wiping right. We started giving her showers instead of baths. We forced her to drink cranberry juice all the time. I've had about a billion UTI's in my life - I know the drill.

Her second UTI happened exactly two weeks later - during our anniversary date. Again, we took her to Community Care (nobody else is open on a Saturday, except for the really-expensive hospital). They gave her a new kind of antibiotic and then did a culture of her pee. She had E. Coli in her bladder - which apparently is really common for UTI's. They assured me that this time, they were going to nip it in the bud.

This last Saturday, exactly two weeks after her second bout, guess what cropped up again? This nasty, nasty UTI. They gave her an even stronger antibiotic. However, this time, her fever isn't dropping with the antibiotics. Nor with Tylenol. Nor with the Tylenol-and-Ibuprofen regimen. When her temperature jumped to 104 last night, Ben took her to Community Care AGAIN. They gave her some kind of Super Shot of antibiotics, then said to come back with her today so they could check Sadie out.

Today, I can't get rid of her temperature. It's been hovering between 100 and 101, WITH the Tylenol-and-Ibuprofen regimen. WITH the super-shot. This morning, I called Micah's pediatrician. You know, the one that saved his life when he was failing to thrive and no one else could figure out why. I begged and pleaded for him to take Sades as a new patient and told him my woes. He moved some patients around to see her today. I hope he can get to the bottom of this, because it's really, really worrying me. I'm scared she's going to have some kind of permanent kidney damage from this. Why aren't these antibiotics killing this E. Coli? Is it still E. Coli???

I do have an appointment with a urologist, but he can't get her in until the 16th. I begged and pleaded with his receptionist, but she won't budge. That's it. So we have to try to deal with this until then. Then he can see if maybe her bladder isn't emptying completely, or if her urethra is too small, or if that valve thingey that leads from the bladder to the urethra is functioning properly. Yeah, I know my stuff. I am the UTI Queen. Or was the UTI Queen, until I met this urologist. He knows what's up. I haven't had a UTI since like February. That's some kind of record for me.

Prayers requested.

On the Kar Pregnancy front, we had our first gynie appointment yesterday!! I'm nine weeks along. My little munchkin looks like this:


And SHE'S the size of a quarter. Yes, I'm going to call her She. Because I really, really need another Sadie in my life. My boys kick my butt. Sadie is calm and kind and quiet and loving and cuddly. She has been a real blessing. So I'm hoping that, by calling this little munchkin She, I'll get another Sadie. We'll see.

So. I told my gynie of my fears that this baby isn't doing so well. I really do feel gross all day long, and I WANT to throw up, but I just don't. Every now and then. But not as violently as with my other three. He told me that, just because I'm not violently ill, doesn't mean that this baby isn't viable. He checked for a heartbeat and actually found one! It's hard to find a heartbeat on my babies, because my uterus has always tilted back toward my spine. It's always tough to get a heartbeat at this juncture. However, after many, many minutes, he found one.!!!And it sounded nice and strong. I was a little relieved. I'll be extremely relieved when we pass 12 weeks and everything seems good.

Be healthy, baby. Stay with me. And be a girl. :) Or a REALLY mellow boy.

5 comments:

spoonTRex said...

I'm so sorry for Sadie!! I had a UTI for about 6 weeks straight last summer and nothing was working. I totally understand what she's going through. I hope the doctor you see today will be able to take care of it and get her what she needs!! You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers!

I'm so glad your gynie was able to find a heartbeat. It does help knowing that there's still life in there! I hope you get another little sadie!!:)

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me above.

anjie said...

You are jinxing yourself! :)

Hope Sadie gets better quickly.

Lyndsay said...

I am so sorry for little Sadie!! I have only had one UTI in my life, when I was first pregnant with my first baby, ugh, ugh, ugh. SO so sorry Sadie!!

By the way, my oldest, Ryan, has been my easiest by FAR, I hope your baby is just like him!!

Nat said...

I'm glad that you're not throwing up as much with this pregnancy. And poor Sadie-I hope you figure out what's going on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...