Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chee-lay

For as long as I can remember, when anyone in my family talks about having chili for dinner, they say, "We are having cheee-lay!" Pronounced like Chile, the country. I wonder why we do that. But I like it.

We had a Chili night back in the first part of January. Nat made her special chili. (No one makes it quite like Nat does, and I LOVE the way she does it. I need to write it down.) Mom made the most yummy creamy cherry salad, involving sweetened condensed milk. Ohhhhh drool. Anything involving sweetened condensed milk is alright in my book. My assignment was to bring cornbread, and I was so excited for everyone to taste it - I won my ward's cornbread contest with this new recipe last fall. I cut into it, and lo and behold, it was denser than a brick. I realized that I had missed the baking powder step. It was totally and completely inedible. So disappointing!!! After all these years of cooking, I still make mistakes all the time.

Ben felt bad for his poor, pregnant, carb-craving wife, so he went out to find some rolls, but he said the rolls at Wal-Mart looked really gross. I just told him to come back - we could live carb-free for one meal. :)

After dinner, we played Phase 10. My fam has a new house rule - you can choose which phase you want to do for each hand. You look at your cards and decide which phase might be easiest to accomplish. The new house rule still didn't help me. I'm soooo bad at Phase 10!

I took some pictures of our gathering, as usual.

Ben would lift Micah way up high, and Micah would giggle and cover his eyes. I couldn't catch it on camera, though. He is soooo cute when he's happy, which is seldom:


Lexi got some nice, professional-looking clothes for her grad school interviews. Here are the adorable shoes she got:


She calls them "grown-up shoes." She's usually a moccasin kind of a gal. And guess what? She got into ISU's Physical Therapy school!! Those shoes must have done the trick. Plus the fact that she's insanely smart, has worked really hard, and kicks butt in any kind of social thing like an interview. She's a charmer. She just had another interview up in Spokane. I need to call her and see how that went. Though I will obviously be voting for ISU. Closer to home, baby.

Some more pics:

5 comments:

Patty said...

I have those shoes! Did she get them at Kohl's. Bummer about your cornbread- it is SO good... especially with that honey butter. Your hair and make up look flawless in those pictures. When Ken and I play Phase 10 we give ourselves the choice. You can go in order or go any way you want. When I try to go anyway- it's too much stress and I end up doing Phase 2 like 3 times. I just stick to going in order. Order is nice.

Nat said...

Dude, I could have sworn that I gave you that recipe. If you want it I'll get it to you again. Just let me know. That was a fun night.

lexykay said...

ahhh! that was a fun night. ivy was my total bud, good times. was that the night we were all laughing to the point of crying talking about mom in water aerobics? haha

Anonymous said...

I'm not really a high heeled shoe person, but those are really cute shoes! Sounds like a fun night!:) I love phase 10.

Lynita said...

Love those shoes, and all the pix! Way to go Lexi! By the way, it is okay to make mistakes with cooking, we all do it sometimes. I know it is worse when you are cooking for other people too. I burnt my rice when I cooked for my family at the fam. reunion last summer. What can I say, the pots and pans were crappy and I was cooking 3 times as much rice as usual! Oh well! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...