Monday, May 10, 2010

My Boithday

I turned the big three-three last month. It really was a fantastic day. Except that I had to do my dishes. I don't think a person should have to do dishes on her birthday. That's my opinion.

This year, Ben decided to give up in his futile attempts to surprise me. He said, "Let's go to dinner with family and friends." And that was fine with me. We went to Red Robin with my fam and with my friends, Patty and Ken.

I actually found time to do my hair and makeup, and I wore a really cute dress that Ben got me. It was so comfortable, and I just felt happy and not so ugly for a minute.

Ben had done that call-ahead thing, but when we got there, they're like, "You'll have a half an hour wait." This is my biggest pet peeve about restaurants nowadays. You can do "call-ahead," but not reservations. I wonder why. It kills me. I'm sure it makes for many grumpy customers. Why not do reservations? Do people flake out? That's my guess. I've also noticed that nobody RSVP's anymore for parties. (Which bugs me. It's one phone call. You can do it.) Maybe that's why hardly any restaurants do reservations anymore. People are flakier than they used to be.

So anyways, I was about ready to faint, so Ben got some mozzarella sticks for me to eat while we were waiting for our table. I ate all seven. Yummm. And then when it was time for me to eat my burger, I could only take a couple of bites. No worries; I ate the rest the following day. Aw yeah. Ben told the waiter that it was my birthday, but I didn't get a birthday song or a birthday dessert. I think they forgot about me. For some reason, I was okay without the song and the ice cream. Maybe that's a sign of me maturing and actually, finally, acting my age. I didn't need all the attention on me. I was really okay with just eating and talking to family and friends. And I was too full to eat dessert anyways.

Pete gave me the best birthday present of all - he skipped his WoW raid to come to my party. Now that's devotion. :) I have good brothers-in-law.

Benny and I went to Clash of the Titans afterwards, which I've already talked about. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a fantastic night. I like getting a break from my kids every now and then.

As for gifts - My marmie got me a sewing machine; I sorely need to get it out of its box and do some mega jean-hole mending. Beads and Ben got me bras. Yes, I said "bras" on this blog. They are so comfortable. Pats gave me a new sweater, which is also amazingly comfortable. Have I mentioned how much I like being comfortable?? Nat gave me money to be used in jewelery-making. I'll be posting about that adventure soon. And I will soon be shaking my booty to the new Black Eyed Peas CD, thanks to Lex. She hasn't mailed it to me yet, but she assures me that it will soon be on its way. She's been just a TAD busy finishing her bachelor's degree.

My in-laws gave me some moolah. I spent a tad on me, but then most of it on my kids for some summer clothing. And I barely touched the top of the iceburg - they're still woefully short on, well, shorts. I'm regretting not spending the stash on me, me, me, but I've been freaking out about clothes for the kids. So in a way, it was a gift to me to spend the money on the kiddos. It stresses me out a teeny bit less.

At any rate, thanks for all the gifts, everyone. And thanks for making my birthday special.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad we couldn't be there! It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! I'm sure I wouldn't have liked the wait either. I LOVE mozzarella sticks:) You look so cute in all the pictures!! Glad you had a good day!:)

lexykay said...

I swear I'll give you your presant this weekend when i'm home for .2 seconds. thank you for forgiving me and my tardyness.
also.... about the reservation thing - i know the scoop because i worked the "industry" (haha i'm making it sound important which it isn't). It's because people are flakey. they'll make a reservation and then be a half hour late to that reservation. then it sucks for the server because they have to sit there for a half an hour with an empty table making $3.15 an hour. in that time slot they could have another set of customers halfway through dinner. Makes the resturant more money and the servers more money; although it is annoying for the customers.

Nat said...

Your b-day was way fun. I'm glad that Pete decided to go with me. And your dress was so stinking cute!

Lyndsay said...

Awww, glad you had a great birthday, and you looked super cute!

I can understand why they don't do reservations, but I just wish more restaurants would. Or at least make the call ahead thing worth it.

I'm not sure what the stores are like over there, but I love shopping at Goodwill. It's harder to find things in my older kids sizes, but I can almost always find good deals in my younger ones sizes. Plus, every week a different color tag is always half off. I'm itching to get there soon, hopefully this week! It's where I buy almost all my clothes and as much of the kids & hubby's as I can!

Camille said...

Happy Birthday Kar - glad you had a good day.
When I was reading your post it reminded me of a blog I read the other day where she gave a little tutorial on how to mend holes in jeans and make them look cute! I'll have to find it and forward it to you. I read your post about trying to fix Dillan's jeans and then when I read it, I totally thought about you - I'll forward it to you - K?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...