Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Harder Than it Looks

I wanted to do a bunch of Easter decorations this year involving eggs, but since I didn't feel like boiling the eggs and having my house smell like sulfur for a month, I thought it might be best to blow some eggs out.

OMG, it's sooooo hard!!! What we learned is this:

1) It's better to use a drill to create holes on both ends of your egg instead of trying to tap holes with a nail and hammer.



2) Then, you need to fashion a little...whisk.... out of wire and use your drill to insert the whisk and whip up the yolk and membrane inside. What a pain. (I didn't catch a picture of this.) Our "whisk" looked like a really curly piece of hair. Sometimes you have to whisk the inside over and over and over again to break up that stuff inside.

3) Then you blow the stuff inside out. This is really hard if your holes on either end aren't big enough. Yet you don't want them to be prominent. It's a tricky business. And a headache-inducing business:



You see the vein sticking out in my forehead? It's hard!!




4) Then you have to rinse the egg under water, cleaning any eggy stuff off the outside of the egg, and also getting some water inside the egg. Then you blow that water out the same way you blew the eggy stuff out.

5) Dry the outside of the egg off, then put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to harden the egg up:



Stay tuned to see what we did with the eggs we worked so hard to blow out!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

:) I've only done that a couple of times... but the holes were bigger so we didn't have to worry so much about the "wisk" ... that being said, yours probably looked MUCH better than mine did!

Carrie said...

Wow! Now that is ambitious! Hopefully they will keep forever!

Emily Empey said...

Oh wow!! How fun!! and time- consuming!!

The Dillons said...

Good job! I rather the smell though.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are so artsy! I never would've done something like that. lol I can't wait to see the decorations after you finished them!:)

Mindy H. said...

Goodness. Gracious.

That really is a whole lot of work. Nicely done. And, like the rest of your lovely commentors, I am very excited to see the finished product!

Patty said...

The things you do for your kids. Amazing mom.

Lyndsay said...

My mom is the egg blowing pro. Every year she makes like 50 jello eggs (from blown-out eggs). Some day I will be like my mom, maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...