Friday, April 22, 2011

You can tell a lot about a person by his shoes...

Dylan's two smallest toes were really red and swollen for a few days. He said they hurt really badly, and I was alarmed. Did he have some kind of weird infection? He was having a hard time walking, even. So I took him to the doc.

The doc's prognosis - Dylan was developing blisters, because his shoes were too tight. Oops. Bad Mom Moment #765. I wasn't paying close enough attention. Plus, Ben got Dylan these socks at the store that are clearly made for men. Ben swears up and down that they are boy socks, but they easily fit Ben's feet. When Dylan pulls them on, the heel part is on his calf. So I'm sure the socks were part of the problem, too.

So off to Payless Shoe Source we went. I measured Dylie's feet, and sure enough, he was wearing shoes a size too small. I cannot believe he grew an entire size from autumn until now. I decided to get him some shoes half a size bigger than what he should be wearing right now. I had him pick from the three cheapest pairs in the selection. (And I bought him some socks in the appropriate size.)

I think Payless Shoe Source should change their name. I don't feel like I paid less. I paid dearly. Maybe it should be called Pay Dearly Shoe Source. They're probably cheaper than, like, Famous Footwear, but still. I guess I was hoping that it was like when I was young, and a pair of Payless Shoes was $13 or so. Those were the days.

Then I glanced over at Sadie's extremely worn-out shoes. She is pidgeon-toed and tends to drag her toes when she walks. The toes were worn completely through, and I could see her socks. And Micah's shoes were in really bad shape, too.

So I sighed, pulled up my imaginary bootstraps, measured those two, and got shoes for them, too. And just about had a heart attack at the register. Sixty bucks. Yikes. Bikes.

Here are our models with their new shoes:


And I think you should see their cute faces, too:


I did cornrows in Sadie's hair that day. So cute, but wayyyyy too time-consuming. Never again.

So now I have to work some extra hours to pay for those shoes. :) That's the biz. The biz of having kids. You have to pay for them.

5 comments:

spoonTRex said...

Isn't it a drag paying for kids?11 LOL Jonas totally needs new shoes. The velcroe part of one of his shoes keeps coming off and I have to keep super gluing it because I'm too cheap to go buy new shoes. Actually, I'm waiting until he gets new braces so I don't have to buy another new pair after that!!:P *SIGH*

Layton Mom said...

I rarely shop at Payless anymore. You can get a much better deal on a much better pair of shoes by watching for sales at Freddy's, Target, JCP. I even have found better prices at shoe carnival and Famous Footwear!

Lyndsay said...

Ryan loves the Champion brand of shoes (available at PayLess and Target). I used to buy him pricey shoes at JCP, but they don't last any longer than the cheaper ones. Sigh. I just had to buy him a new pair this week and Jenna needed new church shoes. The only Payless here is inside of Shopko and they have zero selection, so I ordered online and had to pay shipping! At least I had a 20% coupon...

Emily Empey said...

Awesome! I love Sadies hair by the way!

Camille said...

Oh my gosh - I'm feeling your pain right now.
So far - Jameson has been able to just wear Josh's "hand me down" shoes - they didn't get that worn out. But NOW holy cow that boy goes through shoes so fast. I swear I just bought him a new pair of sneakers 2 months ago - they totally have holes all over in them and the rubber on the bottom is falling off.
I'm not looking forward to the day when I'm having to get new shoes for the both of them every couple of months!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...