Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Stinky but Showey

I'd like you to all give a friendly Kar's Flowerbed Welcome to the newest members of my garden - my marigolds.  (Applause.)

Aren't these GORGEOUS??  I'm so in love with them.
Annuals are sooo cheap right now, and I'm loving it.  The flowerbed in front of my living room was looking kind of bland, and when I saw these lovely ladies at the Home Depot on super-sale, I had to have 'em.

So here's my living room flowerbed right now - still a little bland.  I'm waiting for these plants in the front to bloom - they should give me some bright yellow flowers really soon.  So then I'll have yellow, orange, pink, purple, white, and peach.

Even though the bed is kind of bland right now, those orange marigolds really perked it up from where it was.
Hm.  My privet really needs a haircut.  (I like my privet because it reminds me of Harry Potter.  Harry Potter lives on Privet Drive.)

My visiting teacher, Shaney, was telling me today that marigolds keep certain bugs away from your garden because they don't like the smell.  And it's true - they really are a little smelly.  And I hope what she says is true, because I planted them very close to my peonies, which are currently getting munched by something.  They look horrible.  So hopefully the marigolds will pull double duty and repel bugs as well as look beautiful.

Now I just have a couple of spots on each side to fill in with something, and I'll finally be done with this flowerbed for the year:

Those spikey plants in the back left of the above picture - they'll soon be gladiolas.  Which are also very showey. I cannot WAIT. I love my glads.  They make me...glad.

What color/type of flower should I go with to fill in those blank spots?  I'm yearning for some verbena.  (And one of the main reasons I like verbena so much is that the housekeeper on the original Parent Trap movie is named Verbena - "It's none of my nevermind.  I don't say a word.  Not a single word.")  Maybe some zinnias?  And since my bluebells aren't very bright, I wonder if I should go with more purples.  Would something red clash with my pink vincas?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking purple would be the perfect color to put there in your empty spot. I'm a big fan of purple!! I have a pretty purple flower growing right now. I can't remember what it's called. You always amaze me with how much you know about all this stuff!! I really wish I had money to hire you as my gardener!! Maybe I should use some of my garage sale money to have you do that.... would you want to??!!:)

Lainey-Paney said...

I love marigolds. I always plant them in a ring around my tomato plants b/c they are supposed to be natural insect repellants.
Well, I think I read that once.
It's in my head, so it must be true, right???

:)

My go-to plants for color: begonias.

Unknown said...

I tried commenting earlier... but my Ipod was being dumb.

I say go for the blue :) then again Delphiniums are my favorite flower so I'm kinda bias! I think all of your ideas are awesome though.

Mindy H. said...

I have no suggestions, only complements. You are a gardening goddess. Someday, when I have a garden, I will come to you to learn the ways of the flower force. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Lyndsay said...

Oh, I wish I had your energy, your flower garden is beautiful. I have weeds in my "flower" garden area, but until these 103 degree days go away the weeds can stay!!

Lyndsay said...

Oh, I wish I had your energy, your flower garden is beautiful. I have weeds in my "flower" garden area, but until these 103 degree days go away the weeds can stay!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...