Thursday, July 19, 2012

Swimming Lesson Report Cards

Well, swimming lessons are done for the summer.  At least for us.  One session for all three is nearly 100 bucks, so...I'm good until next year. :)

I saw Dylan really improve.  He went from doggie paddling to doing the front crawl in the deep end.  He still doesn't breathe right - he just kind of throws his head from side to side without immersing it.  But he's getting there.  After the first time they swam across the deep end, when I went to gather the kids up, Dylan clapped his hands together and rubbed them, saying, "Welp, that's it.  I know how to swim.  We won't have to do swimming lessons again!"

Sorry, bud.  Now we have to work on perfecting it.

Dylie haaates bobbing:
I notice that he'll bob, come up, and pause and wipe his eyes.  And then bob, come up, and pause and wipe his eyes.  So funny.  He says that, when he bobs, water gets up his nose.  I don't know how he didn't get the memo about blowing out your nose when you're underwater.  I taught him about that vital principle, and we practiced a few times in the car.

Micah also improved a lot.  He went from screaming, crying, and trying to run away from the teacher to staring at me in terror during the whole class to going quietly and willingly with his teacher at the beginning of class. So that's good. 

They'll play ring around the rosies, and when they're supposed to all fall down, they put their faces in the water and blow bubbles.  He won't do that part.  He just kind of blows on the surface of the water, like he's trying to cool a cup of hot chocolate.

He knew I was taking his picture - so funny:
 This picture of Sadie is funny:
The one-eyed demon girl.

Sadie's doing great.  They practice the front stroke a lot, using noodles that the teacher drags while walking backwards.  They bob and practice kicking.  She doesn't really have any fear of the water, which is fantastic.

So how did they do?  Um.....  None of them passed their level.  Hahaha!

All three report cards said that the kids had to be more comfortable in the water.  And that's alright.  I had to keep reassuring Dylan that it's really okay if they didn't pass.  They improved a ton and got used to the water a bit more.  And that's what matters to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great that they improved!! I know Brynnan did, not sure about Jonas. lol They were in the same class and now I know not to do that again!! UGH! They didn't pass their level either, so don't feel bad. I think it's normal. I don't think I ever learned to bob. When you were talking about that I was like, 'What is she talking about?!!' haha I'm not a fan of the water.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...