Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 2...

...of the 31-Day Blog Challenge - Tell us about your job. Job #1: Mom

I am like this picture. But I'm not that skinny! Hahaha! Being a mom is full-time. No, it's more than that. It's overtime, every day. But you don't get paid. I'm literally working 15-hour days. It's crazy. I had no IDEA it would be this hard!! There are no breaks. As a mom, you can't take a sick day or a vacation day. And that's hard. But I really feel that being a mom is my true calling. And I think I'm pretty good at it. And you know what? Sometimes I really love it. And sometimes I really hate it. Motherhood is a very extreme experience. You have extreme highs and extreme lows. I've never been so tired, so frustrated, so worried, so overwhelmed, etc. But I've also never laughed so hard, felt such warmth in my heart, smiled so big, or felt so satisfied. And I know that the work I do in my home will affect generations. So I take it seriously, and I try my very best. Job #2: Janitor

I work at my dad's office as a janitor at night. It has its frustrating moments, but on the whole, it's a really great job. I like having solitary time, and I like cleaning something that will stay clean for a few days, instead of for a few minutes. I have to go get some janitorial supplies tomorrow with my pops, including a zillion more kleenex boxes for the Mysterious Nose Blower to use up in one month. My least favorite janitor thing I do there is vacuuming. It takes two hours straight to vacuum that office building. It kills me. I literally get blisters on my vacuuming hand. My most favorite janitor thing to do is.... um, getting paid? Hahaha! Job #3: Scanner

I can say without any reservations that I really, really love my scanning job. Again, I do it for my dad. I scan files onto a computer database. I love watching stacks diminish. I love seeing progress. So much of what I do as a homemaker is cyclical - laundry gets done, but there's more there the next day. There are always more dishes to wash. And yes, there are always more documents to scan, but there's something very satisfying about putting them into the computer in a very organized way that makes me happy. I love organizing things. And again, I love the solitary nature of the job. It's nice not to have someone hanging on me or demanding things of me. And it's so QUIET. I don't even listen to music while I do it. I just scan. And I can surf the net, or read a book, or just veg.... It's great. So there you have it. My three jobs. I'm grateful to have them.

5 comments:

Emily Empey said...

I agree being a mother is HARD!! Best thing ever. You do do a great job!!

Unknown said...

I don't think anyone knows how hard being a parent is until they are there. For sure.

I like shredding stuff, I think it's probably for the same reasons you like scanning :) 'cept it's NOT quiet, but it does drown out the children's bickering... does that count?

Anonymous said...

I agree with April, no one knows how hard it is. Not even husbands know/understand how hard it is being a mom!! But that job is worth it!:) A quiet job away from home would be nice to have!!

Camille said...

Reading that scanning post made me miss those days.....remember the scanning days in Rexburg? Those were good times - for real. That basement with all the weird stuff down there - we'd go see what crazy stuff we could find....and remember the time I tried to shred your shoe? How many movies did we watch? and we'd gossip about whom was having a romance with whom in the office.
Seriously best job!!!!! Thanks for letting me share it with you.

Lyndsay said...

I think the solitary time on the janitor job would be nice. And I agree with your thoughts on seeing a pile of papers diminish to nothing. I get so tired of continually cleaning off my kitchen counter!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...