Monday, February 2, 2009

Christmas Morning

Christmas was a challenge for me again this year. I just hate when I can't get gifts for my own kids. I don't care if I don't get anything; but if I can't get even one thing for my kids or my hubs, I get sad. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that Christmas isn't about the presents, blah blah blah, but it still makes me sad. Come to think of it, I get sad at most holidays. Like, at Halloween, I get stressed when I can't afford costumes for the kids. My parents always got us one small toy for Valentine's day, and I get stressed when Valentine's day comes around, because I want to do the same for my kids. Then Easter comes, and I'm worried that I won't be able to put anything in the Easter baskets.

So I was, as per usual, stressed out about Christmas. Ben's parents and my parents had gotten them gifts, and I didn't think the kids would notice that Ben and I didn't give them gifts, but what I was really worried about was the Santa presents. I thought, "Am I going to have to tell them the truth about Santa, to explain why they didn't get anything from him??" We were rescued, by several sources. Someone in our ward donated $100 to us, anonymously. They left it with the bishop. That act of kindness still brings little tears to my eyes. It meant so much to us. We used it to get Dylan's bionicle and stocking stuffers for the kids. And then my mom got a My Little Pony to give Sadie from Santa. And then Headstart came through for us - every year, Wal-Mart and Headstart team up to give the kids of Headstart families gifts for Christmas. I think it's called the Christmas Tree or something. You write down your kids' ages and clothes sizes and interests, and shoppers at Wal-Mart who want to, buy stuff for your kids. So we used those toys that we got through Headstart as stocking stuffers, as well. Crisis averted. No need to tell the kids about Santa, yet.

You see, Dylan has wanted one of those little kid-sized cars that drives around in your backyard and is battery-operated. The kids actually ride in the cars. These cars are at least $200. Last year and this year, Dylan has said, "I'll ask Santa for it, because he gets you whatever you want." So last year and this year, in the months before Christmas, I told Dylan that Santa didn't have enough elves to make those cars for kids. He's all, "Well, then I'll ask you for the car." I'm all, "Um, we can't afford it." So Dylan contented himself with asking Santa for a nice $25 Bionicle.

Then his neighbor from down the street got one of those electric cars from Santa. So Dylan is all, "Why could Santa give Breckyn a car, but not me?" I told him that Breckyn's parents lent Santa the money. I didn't know what else to say. This Santa stuff is so annoying.

Anyways, here are pics from Christmas morning. I love the kids' faces when they first enter the room and get a look at the Santa gifts:


Sadie's My Little Ponies:

We lost that minty green one on the car ride home. Not a joke. So sad.

Dylan, looking at his stocking stuffers:

Look how stinkin' cute Micah is:


This is how I spend most Christmases, undoing stupid packaging twine:

Then it was time for under-the-tree, wrapped presents.

Dylan and a Transformer:

I think Greg got a smoothie maker:

Micah got a stuffed polar bear. Again, note his stinkin' cuteness:

Ben got a shirt from his mom (sadly, I didn't get him one dang thing. We couldn't afford it...):

Ben's mom, modeling her new robe:

And may I reiterate Micah's stinkin' cuteness:


His favorite presents were the pieces of wrapping paper that he could violently crinkle. He had a great time.

5 comments:

Gifford Family said...

Cute pics. My favorite is of Micah playing with the wrapping paper! :)

lexykay said...

Karlenn you are such a good mom. You worry way too much! I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately actually. I just want you to know how proud you make me. I hope that if I ever get married or have kids I can be half the wife and mother you are. They are all you think about and you always put them before yourself. Throughout all of the trials you have gone through you haven’t once complained. You just keep doing what you know you have to do. Things will work out for you soon. I know that one day you won't have to worry about money for Christmas presents and everything because you are such a hard worker. I love you so much, just keep on trucking.
this sounds way cheesy but whenever I’m going through a hard time I think about a quote one of my favorite teachers taught me: everything will turn out great in the end, if it's not great, it's not the end.
I love you and miss you so much karlenn!!

Nat said...

You know, Steph doesn't even do Santa with her kids. Now I kind of see the logic behind it. And don't worry-I didn't get Pete anything for Christmas, because he got his WoW expansion game in October.

Chad said...

I agree with Lexi! (Except for the part about wanting to be a good mother).

Anonymous said...

Micah is such a CUTIE!!! He's gonna be a lady killer:) LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...