Saturday, February 21, 2009

Power of Two

I'm giving a lesson tomorrow about our roles as wives and mothers, and there is part of the lesson that talks about the scripture in 1 Corinthians, 11:11 - "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord." The lesson says this scripture points out that men and women help each other in a marriage. The two are stronger than just the one. I think this is so true. When I'm waning in spirituality or patience with the kids, Ben is stronger in those areas. When he's struggling, I'm stronger and can help him through. It works out nicely that way. The lesson has us ask the girls how husbands and wives can help each other in marriage, and I was reflecting on how much Ben helps me. I wanted to share:

1. He is a good example to me of prayer. He prays, on his knees, every single night, no matter how tired or sick or upset he is. His example helps me to get on my knees and pray.
2. He helps me with housework so much. I'm embarrassed to say that he really is a better stay-at-home mom than I ever was. The house is spotless. The laundry is all done. It makes me feel kind of crappy about the kind of job I did when I was at home. (To be fair to myself, I was working for a few hours every night, and he's not, so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself...)
3. He comforts me when I'm upset or frustrated.
4. He helps with the kids. He has no problems changing poopy diapers, bathing them, or reading them stories at night. He's very hands-on, and I LOVE THAT.
5. He fixes stuff. I would be deed meet without his help.
6. He defends me. He drove over and yelled at the guys at Pep Boys in Salt Lake when they didn't treat me with respect. I now call Pep Boys, "Pep Crap."
7. He does the bills. I really, really hate money stuff. And he knows it and does it, even though I think he hates it, too.
8. He makes me feel good about myself. He showers me with compliments and makes me feel like a million bucks.

I was thinking more of this concept of the two being more powerful than just the one, and I thought of that song by the Indigo Girls, The Power of Two. I loooove that song. I wanted to put up the original video, but it has a lot of homosexual action in it, and that makes me feel weird. I don't care if they do that stuff, but I just feel kind of uncomfortable watching it. I found this leetle youtube video, which just has the song and shows the lyrics. Much bettah:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great! Remember to point out all the things that YOU do for Him too. :) Like being willing to go to work when it's needed. Like having confidence in his ability to find a good job and his talent at doing that job. Like letting him know that he is a great dad! Compliments are some of the most powerful things in a marriage in my book. Helping your spouse feel good about themselves helps them to do the same for you :) And that is NEVER bad for a marriage!

Nat said...

I could NEVER be a single mom! It would suck. And Ben is a great dad/hubby.

Layton Mom said...

I agree with Aprillium and Nat. I too have a great hubby. I can't imagine life without him. Luckily I don't have to.

Carrie said...

I really love this entry. I think it is so important for us to recognize what a blessing our husbands are and even thank them every once in a while. We sure do need each other don't we.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...