Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Hairy Situation

Okay. I wanted to post a little bit about my hair. I've been using my flat iron to make "beachy waves," and it works, but it makes my hair feel... kind of fuzzy. And itchy. It's hard to explain. No matter how much pomade I smooth on it, it just itches the crap out of me. The other day, a patient came in to the office with her friend, and her friend had the cutest Beachy Wave hair ever. So I asked her how she does it, and she says that she uses a curling iron about one inch in diameter. She doesn't open the clampey thing at all. She takes a section of her hair and wraps it around the whole barrel (without the clampey thing opening), holds the end with her finger, and then lets it go. I decided to give it a shot yesterday morning. Here is the result:

Nice beachy waves. And no fuzzy feeling. Except for on my arms, because I was wearing a wool sweater yesterday. Dude, even though I had a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath, the itchiness came right on through and drove me nuts. But I knew it wasn't from my hair. I can tell the difference between Wool Itch and Hair Itch.

I had been needing to get a hair trim, and lately, my gargantuan forehead was really bothering me. Every picture I had taken recently made me look like a big baldy. I thought fleetingly of getting sideswept bangs, but I've had those before, and they were always getting into my eyes. So I decided to try a straight down, brushing-the-brow bang. After many requests, here is the reveal. Drumroll, please...

Well? What do you think? Ben was in total shock. Micah looked at me like, "Who the crap are you?" Sadie said she loved it. Dylan didn't even notice, because he's so completely self-centered. :) My dad said I don't even look like the same person. All of my coworkers (at both offices) love it.


I didn't realize that having bangs would make the rest of my hair look soooo much longer. I feel like Demi Moore. I did get the rest trimmed a couple of inches, but maybe I should have gone shorter.



At first, I was really excited. But then... I jogged last night,and they stuck to my forehead. And then I had to pin them back to wash my face and sleep (I don't want to encourage pimples on the forehead.). And toward the end of the day, they were looking really greasy and stringy. I have really greasy skin, so I felt like all the grease was being absorbed by my bangs. And this morning, my bangs were being brats, so I was a little bit shell-shocked and getting a little bit of buyer's remorse. But I re-flat-ironed them, and now they've settled down.

I wonder if I should have gotten them a little thicker? Maybe that would help with the grease-absorption thing. Anyways. If I end up hating them for sure after a few weeks, I can grow them out. Hair grows. This I know.

17 comments:

Kristen said...

I love your new hair...super cute! I think bangs is a good look for you, although I love no bangs too.

Amy said...

It must be the week for getting haircuts. You look very stylish- I like them!

Barnard Family said...

Very cute...I tried bangs once and it didn't go well for me. Then I tried side swept bangs and I loved them but my hubbie didn't...so they are now gone too. I guess I am not meant for bangs.

Anonymous said...

Kar~ I LOVE it!!! it looks very cute and classy on you. I am sure you will get back into styling bangs. I haven't had bangs since 1994. I have no idea what I would do if I were to cut some.

The Boyles said...

I love it too- I think they look great on you and I don't think you should have gone thicker. They are perfect :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! When I first saw the picture I was like "Is that Karlenn?!" because you look a lot different! But in a good way. I think you look beautiful! But seriously, I never noticed until you said something about your pictures I took!
Bangs take some getting used to, but you'll get it after a while.

anjie said...

LOVE IT!

J + A Humphreys said...

Way cute. Very Demi. :) I am so jealous of your long hair. I think it has grown 3 feet since you moved from SD. I wish I could get mine to grow like that. Bangs are such a love-hate thing. So cute, so annoying sometimes. I heard the if you round brush them with the hair dryer and then use the flat iron they keep a little bounce. Very nice beachy waves as well. :)

Mindy H. said...

I am a fan of the bangs. I think they look great...although you looked pretty darn great before too.

Unknown said...

Oooooooo Aaaaaaaaaah :) they are totally cute! :)

Patty said...

Cover of Vogue. Here we come!

amanda said...

You look so cute. You are lucky your hair is so straight so your bangs don't frizz or do a cowlick. I think it looks really pretty. Bravo.

Nat said...

YAY! You TOTALLY look different than you did!

Molly said...

I had to check out your blog and I LOVE your bangs! They are sooooo flattering on you. I have had bangs for almost a year and they definitely take a while to get used to and are sometimes a pain, but I love them and plan to keep them around for a while.

Emily Empey said...

I THINK ITS ADORABLE~~~ You do look like a completely different person- and i also think you look a lot like Lex! i love it! VERY cute!

Anonymous said...

You are most beautiful no matter how you wear your hair! Your beauty inside surfaces to the outside; so you could have no hair and be one of the most beautiful people in my life!

Ashley said...

They do make you look different, but in a good way. You look good both ways, but I like the change. I am always nervous to cut bangs. I did some this last cut that are a little thicker and off to the side. It takes some getting use to, but can be fun for a different style once in awhile. Fun for you to try something different!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...