Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Losers from the Street

When I was pregnant with Dylan, Ben and I were in Roberts one time, and he was making some joke that only he got (this happens a lot), and I just kind of smiled a little, because I just didn't think it was a very funny joke! And Ben's feelings got hurt. He said, in all seriousness, "You just think I'm a loser from the street." We laugh about that now, because that's just a weird way of putting it.

Anywho, last New Year's Eve, my parents and my sister's family got invited to parties, and we didn't really know anyone that well yet, so we just stayed at home, like "losers from the street." So this year, before we went up to Washington, I was talking to my dad, and I was like, "Are we going to hang out together on New Year's Eve?" And Dad's like, "Heck yeah!" So I was thinking to myself, Good. Now we won't be losers from the street on New Year's Eve again. So we got home from Washington, and I found out on New Year's Eve day that it happened AGAIN!! Mom and Dad got invited to a party, and Nat's family got invited to a party! I was so saaaaaaaaad!! I was like, People must really not like us very much, that we didn't get invited to a New Year's Eve party, two years in a row!! Nat invited us to crash the party she was invited to, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that, because I was going to run in the Resolution Run at midnight that night. I realized that I kind of wanted to rest. But the party animal in me was seriously considering it. I wanted to go to a PARTY on New Year's Eve, like the rest of America!

Then my friend Patty called me. And I was like, Yessss! She's going to invite us over for New Year's! So I say, coyly, "Sooooo, what are you guys doing tonight?" And she said, "Oh, Ken and I stay in for New Year's Eve. We go buy really nice food and make a gourmet meal, and then rent movies and watch them together, alone." It was a total epiphany, to hear that. It's true: it's always a party when I'm with Ben. We have so much fun together. We don't need to be invited to a party to have fun. So I ended up really enjoying New Year's Eve. It was laid-back, and I like laid-back. And it really was a good thing for me to rest up before my big run.

This is a cute picture of Ben and Sadie on New Year's Eve day:


And this is what we did New Year's Eve night - I cleaned the house (I didn't end up resting at all), and Ben and the kids watched Family Guy, much to my consternation:




Oh well. I did tell Ben to turn it off if anything inappropriate happened on Family Guy. So Ben had to change the channel a few times, because Family Guy is chok-full of inappropriate things. And we put the kids to bed at nine. It ended up being a pretty pleasant evening. We are such fuddy-duddies.

6 comments:

Nat said...

Sometimes it's nice to be at a party, but sometimes it's nice to just be at home, too. I'm glad you guys had fun just hanging at home, but next year we'll have to party so much we'll say "par-tay"!

anjie said...

We had a mellow New Years Eve too. I could barely stay awake! It's hard to party with little kids.

Did you get you midnight kiss?

Janiece said...

Funny...
My husband was asleep by 9 pm and well...I hardly ever go to bed before 1 am.
I truly can not remember the last New Years Eve party I went to...
Maybe 2000, when we were not sure if the world was going to end, or should I say the computer world.
We went to Arizona to be with my family.
AWESOME Party...

How did your run turn out?

Mindy H. said...

Some of my favorite people are fuddy-duddies :-)

The Dillons said...

haha thats fun! I am glad you enjoyed New Years. We just had a crazy one at my house with my whole family! It was busy so a laid back New Years sounds pretty nice!

Anonymous said...

I don't think we've ever been to a party our whole married life. I like just hanging out at home and doing NOTHING!:) We can put the kids to bed on time and just hang out afterwards. This year Mark and I went to bed at about 10:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...