Thursday, May 28, 2009

Displacement



Displacement: the transfer of an emotion from its original focus to another object, person, or situation.

Lately, when I say something Sadie doesn't like, oh, for example, "You can't go play with your friends until you eat your lunch," she yells, "I'm stupid!" or "I'm an idiot!" I know she really means, "You're stupid!" or "You're an idiot!", but she knows that if she says that, she'll be in deep doodoo. So this is how she expresses her anger toward me. :)

6 comments:

Norlund Clan said...

Isn't funny how they try to say what they want in a round about way, and think that it is ok. They are creative about things to try not getting in trouble.

Patty said...

What a little darling. I guess you can silently giggle to yourself at her explosions of anger.

Anonymous said...

Haha. that is funny. Ryan was really mad at me one day so I put him in time out but before he went he yelled " MOM, YOU'RE A" I turn and ask him I'm a what? he yells back "NOTHING". He was smart to think twice before he called me a something. I walked to my bathroom and laughed.

Nat said...

For a while Jake was doing that, too, but I think he was honestly getting "you" and "I" mixed up. She's so funny!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Kids say the darndest things not to get into trouble! :)

Lynita said...

Please, please get that one on video, she will love it when she is older!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...