Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Love is a Battlefield.

Micah's occupational therapist wanted us to switch from Gerber 2nd foods to the chunkier Gerber 3rd foods, and the transition hasn't been pretty. He HATES the taste of the 3rd foods. There seem to be a whole lot of tomato sauce and spices in most of the little meals, and he fights eating them, tooth and nail. He's supposed to eat, like, a whole jar at lunch, and then half a jar at dinner, and we're lucky to get an eighth of a jar in him each time. And it takes 45 minutes to get that eighth of a jar in him. With much fighting:


I had to go to the grocery store this weekend, and I was naughty and went back to buying Gerber 2nd foods. I'm terrified of him losing weight again and being even farther behind than he already is. Maybe we can revisit the 3rd foods again in a month. For now, I want him to maintain his healthy weight. Micah's occupational therapist stood us up today, and I'm kind of glad. I didn't want to have to tell her that I'm going against her wishes...

As far as real human food, Micah is doing a little bit better about bringing food to his mouth. He used to never, ever do that. And now we're getting him to bring some foods to his mouth and gum them up with his little gums. So we're still working that angle, as well. Most kids at his age are full-on eating grown-up food, but he's just not there yet. His cousin, who is only two weeks older than him, can eat a whole piece of pizza by herself! I'm in awe of her...

5 comments:

Nat said...

You know, I never did move any of my kids to the 3rd stages of baby food; I just went straight to soft people food-noodles, bread, crackers, cheese, eggs...Poor guy; I'm sorry he's struggling with the new foods. I would totally go back to 2nd foods, too.

anjie said...

That transition is not easy, also, because the 3rd stage food is runny like 2nd stage but with random chunks. If a baby is unsure, it is hard for them with the random chunks. He might not like feeling a sudden large piece that he isn't sure what to do with. Try adding to the 2nd stage foods. Like, graham crackers or similar crackers to the fruit. (dollar store teddy crackers work great too because they dissolve easily and get mushy) Ad saltines or ritz to the veggies. Mush them around. It will slowly help him get used to texture with out sudden large chunks. they also ad calories and flavor. Ad salt and butter to his food too if you are trying to gain weight.

Another thing that helped my boy was to see as many different OC's as you can. they all have different ideas. Hope this helps.

Mindy H. said...

I think that it makes a lot more sense to feed the poor kid more of something that he will eat rather than fight to get him to eat a little of something that freaks him out. I liked Anjie's comment about seeing more than one occupational therapist. The more info the better, right?

Gifford Family said...

Holy cow I was behind!!! I have been so busy I never have time to read blogs. I just finished catching up.... Cute pics. Congrats to Dylan for the Bully contest... that is AWESOME. It seems that Micah is coming along well for such a scary start. Just be patient... do what you feel is best, you are with him more than the therapist. When we had all sorts of problems with Erin, every doctor told us something different... in the end we just trusted our own instincts and she turned out fine (for the most part Ha!)

Unknown said...

Missy wouldn't eat baby food AT ALL. Freaked me out cause Goober had a rough start to life as well. So I just nursed as much as possible (yeah she was littler...) then gave her whatever I was eating in very very tiny portions....worked out ok. When I told the Pediatrician he simply said "Feed her what she will eat." so, I agree with others feed him what he will eat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...