Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Guilt - the Main Motivating Factor in my Life

I usually do tons of blogging, as you know. But my blogginghood has been stymied for the past week or so, because I've been cooking. And cooking. And cooking.

Evidence:

I baked a few strawberry/rhubarb pies, and I took a couple of pieces over to my friend Megan. And she blogged about it and took this gorgeous picture! (Which totally made my day, Meg.)

Here's the thing. When we moved into this ward, I was immediately put into young women's, and when you're in young women's, you just don't really completely know what's going on in the ward. I got released (something about which I'm still mourning) a couple of weeks ago, and suddenly, there I was, in Relief Society. And I knew like three people in there. So I decided to get all gung-ho and sign up for every dang thing that's coming up, because I need to get to know these ladies! I can't do a lot of the activities - some are in the day, when I'm working, and I've skipped some of the nighttime activities, because I feel guilty about spending time away from my hubs and kids, because I work so much, and I want to stay home and spend time with them. So, because I feel really guilty about not going to every single activity, I keep signing up to cook stuff. So I cook stuff on my days off, and that way, I feel a little bit better. And I keep signing up for too much, I think. And then I get really stressed out, and my kitchen is in a perpetual state of stickiness. But I just can't stop.


And I'm a perfectionist. And there have been times when I've had a baby, and people sign up to bring meals, and um... they never showed up. Or a couple of times, people brought their "meal" over, and it was a small noodle casserole the size of a salad plate, intended for our entire family. And that's it. So whenever I bring a meal to someone, I'm like, "No one is starving on my watch!!!" So I bring in a three-course meal, a drink, and a dessert. Big-time overkill.

I also visit-teach four gals, three of whom are inactive and never, ever return phone calls. And I feel guilty that I don't get ahold of them, so I always cook yummy desserts and drop them off at said girls' homes with a nice note every month. (Megan is one of my visiting teachees, and she lets me into her house, but I bring her food just because she's fun and cool.)


My friend Kara had a baby. So I made a three-course meal for her a couple of weeks ago, plus a drink, plus dessert. Aaaaand, this month, it was May, and strawberries have been in season, and I thought to myself, I will make some strawberry/rhubarb pie. And I ended up making three pies. One for my family, and two (cut into pieces) for the myriads of people in the ward who are having a hard time or sick, plus my visiting teachees, plus my visiting teaching companion (I felt guilty that I haven't given her a baby gift yet, and her baby is now two months old), plus my grandpa and dad, who love strawberry/rhubarb pie.


Whew.


And then our young women had a fundraising Mexican meal, and an accompanying silent auction of baked goods. And because I'm still in mourning over being released from young women, and since I felt guilty that I couldn't afford to go to the Mexican fundraising meal, I signed up for the silent auction and made some homemade rolls for it (which were SOLD! [mallet pounding] for $12! Not bad...). I arrived to hand over my rolls like 30 seconds before the activity.


Whew.


Then I had some cute girls to whom I used to teach Sunday School (Did you get a load of that sentence structure, Mindy? A thing of beauty...) come over for Sunday dinner, and of course I had to do this complicated, three-course meal for them. And then Nat had us over for a lunch thing yesterday, and I brought this huge thing of pretzel salad. And tonight I made a complicated, three-course meal for cute Emily in my ward.


My kitchen is a catastrophe!!!


And my nose is burning, because I chopped up a bunch of jalapenos and anaheim peppers, and then rubbed my nose, and weird, potent pepper juice went up my nose. My eyes and nose are streaming right now...


I'm wondering if I need therapy to get over my guilt issues, because they're running me ragged!!!

9 comments:

lexykay said...

you're one of those people that never say no. no matter how busy you are or how much you just need to rest and take a day for just YOU (*GASP* the very thought!) you always put other people before yourself. it shows how selfless you are but dang girl, it's gonna catch up with ya. (see that sentance structure... a thing of beauty - just kidding) when i get home we're having a girls afternoon.
speaking of that - july 15. harry potter. we could easily make cheap capes and wands. trust me, costume parties are my thang.

Mindy H. said...

I'm glad that you have got to spend time being creative in the kitchen, but I have missed your beautiful sentence structure. I love that, when faced with a room full of unfamilier R.S. faces, your reaction was to get involved and get to know them. The Church (and the world) need more people like you!

Nat said...

I bow to your cooking goddessness. I'm glad you're trying to get to know ladies in your ward. YAY you!

Patty said...

What can I do for YOU Ms. Go-getter?

Gramma n Grampa said...

WOWWWWWW!
Take it from someone who did the same thing at one point. And it does catch up with you. It's not pretty. It's okay not to sign up for everything! Ya still can get to know the sisters. You're no good to your sweet kids and husband if you're sick or worse!
I know that all you do is greatly appreciated but no one wants you to get sick over it.

Gifford Family said...

Whew! I was out of breath just reading all that you have done!!! You are a busy woman. I did like your sentence structuring... you have not lost your English Teacher knack!

Anonymous said...

You're amazing Kar!! I am not a good cook at all so when I sign up for stuff, which, I feel totally guilty now because I was supposed to make something for that silent auction and I totally spaced it!!! I usually just buy a box of brownies and call that good! You're awesome that you cook so much and I'm sure everyone appreciates that they won't "starve on your watch"!!:) I LOVED your strawberry/rubbarb pie! It was soo yummy! Thanks again!!

The Boyles said...

And you said I do a lot with a new baby! :) I am so glad you always post a comment when you look at our blog - so many people don't and doesn't it just make your day when people do? Maybe that is just me- but I love reading your comments. By the way- on the bird nest story - it does have a flip cover, but on either side there is a small ventilation hole and that is where the bird got in! Also as a small sidenote on guilt- I still need to get you your " surprise" from the pay it forward blog. Can you send me your address to my facebook e-mail again? Sorry!

Lynita said...

Wow, I wish I was there to enjoy some of the fine cuisine! But seriously you are such an amazing woman, and I hope that you get to know some of the ladies in RS soon. Don't feel guilty about working, you are a great mom and it is very evident that you love your family well! Just make sure you take care of yourself or you won't have anything to give. The church has always said family first, and don't you forget it mama! Much love to ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...