Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sippy Cup Drama

Micah is 17 months old and still won't hold his own dang sippy cup. It's driving me NUTS!! He'll get whiney, so I'll get him a sippy cup and hand it to him. Then he hands it back to me, like, "I don't know how this dang thing works." And if I don't take the sippy cup and hold it for him, he will get angry and throw it at me. Which feels really awesome. He has frightfully good aim. Mainly, when I can tell he's thirsty, I try to hold him in my lap, and then I force his hands up around the sippy cup. And then I have to kind of make his hands stay there with my hands, while also tilting the sippy cup up. But I will admit that sometimes I'm tired and I succumb, just holding it for him:


He looks like a little gerbil in his cage, drinking out of that thingey.
One night, Ben came up with a plan. He propped the sippy cup in our big chair for Micah to come and drink out of whenever he desired:

And Micah totally went for it. We laughed so hard. He is such a stinker! His therapists think that it is an issue of stubbornness. They think that he wants individual attention from me so much that he won't hold his own cup, so that I have to cuddle with him and help him and give him that time. It's not like I don't give him individual attention all the time. He just always wants more.
So there you have it. Any suggestions? I'm scared that he will just cry all day long if I just leave him to try to hold it himself. He cries too much as it is. If I just make him try to figure it out on his own, I think he will refuse to drink at all, and then become dehydrated. But maybe we just need to bite the bullet and make him suffer until he figures it out. What do you think?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

haven't a clue hon. But if it is worth sacrificing sanity for a few days maybe that would be a good idea... I personally would try a day or two of letting him try to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

That is so hard, Kar!! I hate it when kids are stubborn! Jonas doesn't drink enough throughout the day and it's so hard to get him to do it! If I nag him too much he gets mad and won't do it. UGH! Being a mom is so hard! I really don't know what to tell you. That's pretty funny about propping the sippy up in the couch though! Maybe you could try not helping him for a whole day and see what happens. I'm sure if he gets thirsty enough he'll drink by himself...eventually.

Gramma n Grampa said...

Have you tried the sippy cups that have the handles on each side. I'm sure you have, but I wonder if you us one of those all the time maybe he'll get the hang of it. Sometimes having something sticking out there eventually clicks in. They sure have their own ways ,don't they! Little cute stinker!

Nat said...

I love the gerbil pic! So funny! My boys never would hold their own bottles, and Jake and Brock didn't do sippy cups. I started them really early on just normal cups, and they were a lot more willing to hold that. Of course, we had lots of spills, so we did lots of water.

Mindy H. said...

Who would have thought that kids come with so many types of drama?!? I hope you get the sippy cup dilema solved soon, but I'm afraid I don't have any helpful advice for you. If one of my kidlets was still using a sippy cup by the time they got to me, I'm sure they would have far more serious issues to deal with. But on the bright side, I'm sure that by the time your little guy is in junior high, the sippy cup will be long gone ;)

Emily Empey said...

what a stinker!!! Love the gerbil idea! hahaha- So Mary LOVES the straw sippy cups made by Munchkin- then he doesn't have to tilt his head- nad then I would just leave it one th floor by hime while he is playing- and he might just eventually drink out of it- or do it when he doesn't think you are watching- You know what i mean??

Patty said...

Get him little hamster ears and a tail and a wheel. He's the cutest, most stubborn gerbil out there.

Carrie said...

I just have to comment "wow" on this one. Wow! Wow! I guess that is all I have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...