Monday, June 23, 2008

Dylan at the Bat

I posted pics of one of Dylan's practices, and now I'm posting pics that I've taken during the last several games. Here is Arin, the coach:

And my sister, Nat, the assistant coach. The way she poses for pictures reminds me so much of my late grandma. Grandma was always hastily trying to do a silly glamour pose:

My job at these games is to try to keep Nat's extra three kids, my extra two kids, and Arin's extra two kids occupied, so they won't run out onto the field during the games. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. You would think my nephews would readily go to me, but if Nat's around, I am like a leper. They are big mommy fans. My mom often comes to games to help us out; she was gone for a couple of games, and Dad came and helped out. I love this picture of him and Troy:

I often bring food to lure the youngsters to me. Colorful goldfish crackers are a big winner. Troy and Sadie:

Sadie likes to feed the other kids the crackers. Sadie, feeding Jayce, Arin's son:

Sadie:

Jayce - he is so cute, and I think he's a pretty big fan of me:

My nephew, Jake, is a crackup at these games. He doesn't really want to be there, most of the time. He comes to talk to me whenever it's time for our team to bat, wanting to play with the toys I brought for his siblings, wanting a shoulder to cry on if he didn't get the ball enough while he was out in the field, or asking for some snacks:

Jake especially hates being pressured into running after he hits the ball. It really embarrasses him. He'll usually mopily walk:

Sometimes Arin has to drag him from base to base. Today, he slowly walked from third base to home with his arms folded, and Mom and I asked him, "Why don't you run fast from base to base?" He said, "'Cause it sucks." We laughed so hard!! Sometimes we can get him to run, though. One day, my mom promised to take us all to Burger King for lunch if he would run. That was a good motivator for him:

Dylan, waiting for his turn to bat:

Gavin, my friend April's son, in the batting line:

Dylan batting:

Arin, helping her daughter, Ila, to bat:

Nat is the first base running coach - Dylan is on base, and Brock won't leave her side:

Dylan playing rover:

Dylan is a little over-zealous about fielding the ball. He totally runs clear across the field to someone else's "territory" to get it. We've told him several times to stay in his "territory" so that the other kids will have a chance to get the ball, but sometimes he gets excited and forgets. Here he is, fielding a ball close to the pitcher's "territory," along with two other kids. He was playing left field that day:

There are usually many, many tears shed during each game. Usually, if a kid is crying, he covers his face with his mitt. I think that is so funny. Here is Ila, crying because she wanted to sit on her daddy's lap, instead of playing:

Jake, crying because someone else fielded a ball that was in his "territory":

This is a picture of Ila, Dylan, and Jake, in the field, totally not paying attention! I love t-ball. It's hilarious:

Me, watching a game. I got this pic from April's blog:

7 comments:

anjie said...

Fun fun. Good luck keeping all the kids occupied!
9 pounds!!? I have allready gained 34!! I still have 7 1/2 weeks to go. holy cow! (literally)

Layton Mom said...

It is so nice of you to keep track of my kiddos. Heaven only knows what would happen without you! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Nat said...

My kids are getting better at staying by you and mom... Like Arin said, thank you!

Layton Mom said...

When I am out on the field I miss a lot of the shenanigans (SP?) that goes on. It is so funny to look at all of the pictures you guys take. Hilarious!! My mom and sister will be there tomorrow maybe they can get some more good pics for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all are having so much fun.

Gifford Family said...

What a chore it is to keep kids occupied during things like that. (Especially when it is as cold as it looks in the pictures) Thank goodness warmer weather is finally here. You are pretty brave to take a newborn out! I am such a homebody after I have a baby! Kudos to you, much braver than I.

Jenny said...

looks like fun! you look much better prepared for the games. i forget stuff to keep jonah and ruby happy and end up chasing all over the place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...