Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dylan's Friend Birthday Party

Alright. So, two days after Dylan's birthday, we had a "friend" party - the first time I have ever attempted such a thing. And boy, was it a pain in the butt. And expensive. I might do it every other year, or something, because it was hard, especially with a newborn in my life. Luckily, Mom watched Micah while Ben and I did the party. Dylan is really into Transformers, so we had a Transformers party. I got all my ideas from http://www.amazingmoms.com/ - thanks, Amy, for the website. I would have been dead meat without those ideas! They have hundreds and hundreds of themes for parties.

First, we had the kids make Transformers masks. Ben, helping Sadie:

Natalie stuck around to help with the party, instead of just dropping off her kids. I was really grateful for her help. My sister, Lex, was in town, and she came over to help. Thanks to both of you! Here is Nat, helping to make Jake's Bumblebee mask:

Below is Lex, helping one of our winner neighbor kids. See my post entitled "Mother Bear Instinct." I will figure out how to make links sometime! I am, after all, a huge technophobe.

Here are Dylan and his best friend, Marcus. Dylan was just informing me that he didn't want to do the other activities - that he and Marcus just wanted to play alone in his room. I was like, "Okay, then you can't have any of the toys your guests brought." That shut him up really quickly:

The kids just kind of ran around while they were waiting for others to finish. Sadie's mask slipped, and she couldn't see. So, instead of taking the mask off, she was blindly wandering toward the table, going, "Mommy? Help me..." It was so funny. She almost ran into the tree:

Then we had the kids do an obstacle course. I split them up into teams - Decepticons versus Autobots, with Decepticons wearing grey armbands and Autobots wearing blue arm bands - and I was going to time each team and give extra prizes to the winners, but it became apparent that it would have taken forever, and I would have lost most of the kids' interest by the time it was their turn. So I just let them go one after another. Here's Jake:

Sadie:

Dylan and winner neighbor, getting their treats after finishing the obstacle course:

Our next plan was to have the kids play freeze tag, but as I was trying to describe how to play freeze tag, I realized that I couldn't figure out how to play it! Here are Lexi and I, trying to figure out how to describe freeze tag:

And the kids, confusedly trying to listen to us:

Ben came up with a good idea to replace freeze tag - red light, green light. Here he is, showing them how it works:

The kids really had a great time with this:

Then we had a treasure hunt, which was probably the favorite activity of the day for the kids:

The "treasure" that the kids found was the All Spark, and when they opened it, there were little party favor bags inside:

Lex:

Then we went inside and had Dylan open presents:

Jake:


Sadie, sitting next to the other two winner neighbors:


Lex:


Brock:

Dylan's face as everyone was singing Happy Birthday:


Blowing out candles:


I never got that great of a photo of his cake, but it was a Transformers cake, courtesy of Wal-Mart. They do good work:

8 comments:

Nat said...

Wow, you definitely get some AWESOME shots of me! Jake reminds me almost every day that we're going to have an Ironman party for his birthday. I'll have to check out that site!

Nat said...

P.S.-to link to stuff in your own blog, or to a specific one in someone else's blog, for that matter: I open a new window with my blog in it, find the post, and then highlight the entire address. Copy and paste with the hyperlink, the same as if you're linking to an outside site.

I hope that makes sense; I'm better at showing than telling.

Gifford Family said...

Looks like a fun party. Having a friends party IS a lot of work and money. We have opted for the every other year thing also. However hard they are though it always is worth it in the end when you see how happy it made your kid. It looks like your party was a smash!

Amy said...

The website is www.amazingmoms.com to clarify for anyone trying to find it. It turned out great Kar! I know that the friend parties are a HUGE pain in the rear, but they love it! I have always done friend parties at age 5 for my kids. Ethan had another one at 7 and not this year. 8 is such a big deal for other things. Then I am thinking that I will set ages. Like 9, 11 or something. Just make sure that both kids aren't having one the same year if at all possible. Then they will just know when they get to have a big party. On the off years maybe they can have one friend spend the night. We'll see...

J + A Humphreys said...

Holy cow, awesome party! I know I am going to totally suck at that when it comes my turn. And BTW, did you just have a baby??? You look great! :) I also read the mother bear post...whoa! That is totally creepy. Sounds like your neighbor needs to get clue. Seriously. I would mostly be afraid that my kids would learn that behavior and think it is normal or acceptable.

And no, we didn't buy our place...just renting like usual. We might be headed back to So. Cal in the next couple of months and Justin is looking at getting his MBA next year, so who knows were we will end up. I love moving every year! Ha!

Lynita said...

Holy crazy woman! I can't believe you pulled off two parties in a row after you just had a baby! I am truly impressed. I love Lex's crazy face by the way! LOL!

Autumn said...

Okay Kar, you are totally looking good! You were skinny in La Mesa but geez, what's your secret? I'm always looking for help in that area! :)

lexykay said...

wow.... you got some real winner pictures of me! i say that if i help with the kids... no more nasty shots of transformer face and double chin!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...