Friday, January 23, 2009

Ugly Ornaments, Part 2



I wrote this post last year about the ugly ornaments Dylan chose for Ben's mom and us; we can add this to the ugliness. Dylan made it in school - it's supposed to be an angel. But I packed it away for use next year, because I just love ornaments that kids make themselves in school. I think they're really cute. And I think this picture of Dylan is also super-cute. Handsome boy.

And, while we're on the subject of "ugly," here is the current update on our newly "ugly" job situation:

Ben went to the unemployment office, and we will get unemployment money each week for 22 weeks maximum. We'll get about as much as we would be getting if Ben got some dumb job, like at Wal-Mart or WinCo or something, working full-time. So Ben is going to continue being Mr. Mom and searching for an architecture job, while I work these two jobs. Hopefully he'll find a decent job within 22 weeks. I certainly hope so. But you never know...

Ben probably calls like fifty architecture firms every day. He's gotten a couple of bites - one in New Orleans, and one in Boston. So who knows where the H we will be within the next few months. And I don't even want to think about selling my house... My house with a new master bedroom, new fridge, new microwave, and soon-to-be new washing machine. Because our washing machine just broke, too. True story. That's, like, three appliances that have all died within the last three months. Life rocks. Anyways, back to Boston and New Orleans - I think he may have an over-the-phone interview with the Boston office sometime next week. Keep your fingers crossed for him.

And it goes without saying that I'm not interested in moving clear the H across the country if he won't be making enough. I don't want to live like we've lived the last year and a half - mooching off the church and off our parents. I want to be self-sufficient, and I want to be a full-time stay-at-home mom. So if he gets a job in Boston, it needs to pay enough for us to afford to live there, first of all. Boston is sooooo expensive. We almost went to grad school there, and we were shell-shocked when we checked out the cost of living. Also, Ben's future job needs to pay enough for us to be a little more comfortable than we have been. Because the last year and a half have been HARD. No doubt.

And I start Monday at the psychiatrist's office. I guess. They said I start Monday, but they also said they would call me today, and... they haven't. So maybe I was delusional about having "gotten the job"?? Whatever. I'm showing up on Monday at 8 sharp. So we'll see what happens. I'm really excited about this job. The office manager and all the doctors seem like really fun, easygoing people. They kept talking about how much they joke around. That sounds like a perfect fit for me.

And I miss my kids... It feels weird to be away from them for so long. And not right. It's hard.

3 comments:

Nat said...

That's kind of a random ornament. And even though I don't want you to move, I want Ben to find a job. Good luck with everything!

Chad said...

I liked reading your goals for your next job. I think it makes it a lot easier to find a job and negotiate a job when you already know what you want.

cecily said...

Congrats on hitting the pavement and finding some jobs Kar! Hopefully Ben will find something soon.

I do have to say that BEN is a perfect example as why unemployement benifits don't work. He is making more by sitting home, then by working... even if it is just some crapy job. You think they could fix that... I mean something as simple as in the church when you have to "work" or at least provide some type of service for the goods that you receive.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad when my friends get help because at least then someone I like is benifiting from my taxes... but UNFORTUNETLY I believe that most unemployement money goes to people who aren't trying to get jobs and are taking advantage of the system.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...