Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bambi-isms



So. Until we lost our copy of Bambi, Sadie watched it multiple times every day. Because I'm a bad mom who sometimes lets her do such things.

I think Bambi's dad is a big, fat jerk. Like, he impregnates Bambi's mom, and then doesn't ever hang out with her or Bambi (Yes, I know that is the "way of the forest," or whatever, but it still bugs me). And then Bambi's mom gets shot, and all he does is say, "Your mother isn't with you any more." And walks away. Come on!! Where is the compassion??

But when I really start to hate Bambi's dad is when Bambi is an adult. And he's running away from the hunters, and he jumps over this big ravine, and the hunter shoots him mid-jump. So he's lying there, bleeding (It doesn't show him bleeding, but he obviously got shot. I guess Disney was trying to protect the tender feelings of kids), and there is this man-caused forest fire sneaking upon him. And Bambi's dad shows up. And he starts yelling at Bambi: "Get up! Get up, Bambi! Get up!!" And again, not in an urgent, nice, I'm-concerned-about-you way. In a jerky way. His voice is really harsh.

So whenever that part would come on, I would make fun of him, imitating his gruff, jerky voice: "Get up! Get up, Bambi! Get up!!"

One day, I was doing this very thing, and Sadie looked at me coldly and said, "You NOT funny."

We were talking about Bambi at dinner, and I was telling Ben that Bambi is kind of a wussy name for a boy. I said, "Bambi's mom should have named him Bambo. Like Rambo. There's nothing wussy about Rambo."

Dylan said, "No, she should have named Bambi 'Deer Beer.'"

Random. And cute.

5 comments:

Mindy H. said...

"Bambo" I LOVE it! I still haven't been able to force myselft to sit through all of "Bambi" but I would pay theater prices to see your version. Bambo could impale the hunters on his antlers and Flower could use all that skunkiness to gas the rest of the humans out of the forrest. I can taste the movie theater popcorn now!

Amy said...

We still don't own that one, or Dunbo either. They both bother me. How come Disney has to be so mean to the cute, cuddly helpless animals?

Nat said...

I'm with Amy; I hate Pinnochio. And you know, no one agrees with me when I say Bambi is like Lion King. And yes, girls are named "Bambi", not boys. What's the girl's name that he falls in love with? It's been so long...

Kar said...

Feline, Nat. Feline. I should know. I've seen it a billion times.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've never really liked Bambi. Jonas LOVES Pinnochio though! From the first time we watched. I think it's because I taught the kids about Jonah and the whale and then we saw Pinnochio so he understood the story about Jonah better. Or maybe he just likes everything that pinnochio does?
Anyway, I don't like Dumbo either. I always fast forward through the part when he gets drunk:P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...