Saturday, April 3, 2010

And though you want them to last forever, you know they never will...

I think I've mentioned this song before - "Oh Very Young" by Cat Stevens. In this song, Cat compares a youth's dreams to his father's best pair of jeans:

And though your dreams may toss and turn you now,
They will vanish away -like your daddy's best jeans,
Denim blue, fading up to the sky.
And though you want them to last forever,
You know they never will.
(You know they never will.)
And the patches make the goodbye harder still.

I heart Cat Stevens. I really need to get an iPod. Or start replenishing all of my CDs that got stolen when we lived in SLC.

Anyways, every single pair of Dylan's jeans has holes in the knees. And I don't have fundage to buy him new ones. So I've been having a patching extravaganza for the past few weeks. Yes, it's taking me that long, because my 34-year-old sewing machine has seen better days and I have to sew each patch on by hand. I average three hours per patch. It's neat. But as long as I'm nauseated and lying on my couch anyways, I might as well get something done, right?

Here's my patch-ironing station, which Xena has decided is her own special bed:

I usually have to use one of those sticky rollers to get the cat hair off the jeans before I patch them. She's been shedding a bit lately, which I'm guessing is normal for cats in the spring.

I washed a pair of Dylan's patched jeans the other day, and the patches became detached on one side. I was so mad! There were my perfect little zig-zag stitches on the jeans themselves, but the patches had frayed in the wash. I guess I should have treated them with that special liquid that keeps edges from fraying, but I kind of assumed that store-bought patches came with that. My bad. So I need to re-do that one.

And on another pair, there is a hole developing underneath the patch I put on. Because Dylan has grown. Nat has been experiencing this phenomenon with her kids' jeans. So I need to fix that one, too.

What I really need to do is buckle down and buy Dylan some jeans in a bigger size. Not sure where to get the money to do that. Out of my butt, perhaps? Sigh. Why do clothes have to be so dang expensive??

4 comments:

cecily said...

Old Navy Stuff and Save (ours starts 4/16)... the first 50 customers/cardholders get 50% off everything they stuff in the bag.

If you're not too picky about the style you can get some AWESOME deals, especially on the already marked down/clearance items. Last time I got Benj 2 pairs of pants for $3 each (and I wasn't even the first 50, so i only got the 20% off).

Think buy off season or a season ahead (current size or a size bigger). And since you are going to have 3 boys, if Dylan only fits a pair for a few months before summer you can either save them for the other boys or cut them off for shorts for the summer.

The Dillons said...

My oh my, that would be quite frustrating. I first thought of Old Navy too when I read this. Start searching for those deals.

Lyndsay said...

Did you know that Sears Brand (and Shopko too, I believe) jeans are replaceable? Meaning you buy one pair, if they get a hole you can replace them for free (same size only). Sadie has 5 daughters and she will buy only the Sears brand jeans, because they go through all her kids and she just goes in and gets them replaced whenever a hole occurs, no problem. It's saved her tons of money!

Nat said...

I went to Once Upon a Child yesterday, hoping to find some jeans Jake's size. No luck. But there were a bunch that were size 7 and 8, so you could check there. Maybe when they get older they won't be so hard on jeans.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...