Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm a nerdy organizer, too!!

Nat and I have been having a little shared crisis the past...um... few years, at least. We feel like the talents we used to have, no longer exist. Because we don't have time to foster them. Does that make sense? These kiddos of ours have taken over every spare moment. There are no more spare moments in which to work on our talents, or to find new ones. But Nat had an epiphany - she does have a talent that she is able to foster - she is a nerdy organizer.

Me, too! I'm pretty good at it! And I am kind of compelled to work at this talent, because I run a household full of slobs. None of them gives a rat's arse about cleanliness or organization. I have to make them be clean and organized. And I usually don't have time or energy to do that. So my house is a pit. It's frustrating.

Anyways... when I found out I was having a boy, my first thought was, "Aw man. I kind of wanted another girl." Because what I have learned, at least in my house, is that boys=hard. Girl=easy. I know that's not always the formula in others' households. But so far, my girl is my easy one. My boys kick my butt. Right now, I am really hoping that Gage has a Sadie soul inside of his boy body. I really need another Sadie soul in my house.

My second thought, when I found out I was having a boy, was, "SWEET! I can get rid of all of those little baby girl clothes in my storage room!" I perked right up and even stopped feeling nauseated for a small moment. That is how much I love an organizing project. So I took all the boxes of clothes that my neice will be able to fit into in the future and took them over to Nat's. I think it was hard on her, being a minimalist (as I am), taking on like six boxes of stuff, but I'm sure the thought of free clothes overrode her minimalist-induced panic on seeing the six boxes.

Then I took the stuff that is too small for Ivy over to the second-hand children's store in town. They are pretty picky there - they only take some Gap, Old Navy, and Gymboree stuff, I swear. I think they probably accepted like two items of clothing from each of my boxes. But whatever. I made $40. And had to put it in my bank account to cover for Easter expenses. Sigh.

Then I bagged up the clothing the snooty second-hand store didn't want (I wanted to keep my boxes) and took it on over to the D.I.:

My storage room is just a teensy bit less cluttered than it was. It's not nearly where I want it to be, but that's because I need to force my hoarder husband to get rid of several things. And that is a tough thing to do. Nat's husband is the same. We often have to sneakily get rid of stuff, because our husbands won't do it. They need those boxes of never-used mystery wires, dang it!!

The next thing that perks me up - the thought of getting rid of all my maternity clothes when I'm done with this hellish pregnancy. Aw yeah. Like five more boxes, outta there. And I'm thinking of tackling my enormous spice collection. I swear I only use half of the spices in my kitchen.

It doesn't take much to excite me, I guess. :)

4 comments:

The Dillons said...

I wish I was more like that! I have a few boxes downstairs at my mom's house. I have no clue what i'm going to do with all my junk, and my stomach hurts when I think about the huge project of organizing my stuff. Good luck with all your organization :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too, Lindsey! I wish I was an organizer. I do organize, but it's only after Months and MOnths of not organizing and it's become a HUGE problem. Speaking of which, I finally cleaned off my desk, you would be proud, but now there's another collection starting again. I don't think I'll ever learn! LOL

I hope Gage has a Sadie soul inside of him too! I totally understand needing an easy child!

Patty said...

Projects are the best. I need one. Bad. I had no idea that store was picky. Yikes... you'd think they'd want what they can get. Interesting. Good for you for tackling your house. Being organized feels great.

Nyline said...

if you are wanting to get rid of your spices...i got dibbs! my husband cooks, i don't. In his eyes, you can't have enough spices.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...