Friday, April 16, 2010

The Perfect Night Light

My mom is the activities person in her ward. They have an annual Chili Cook-Off/Ugliest Shirt Contest. (My mom won last fall. She's very proud.) This used to be their roving trophy - a lava lamp:

They just got a "real" trophy for roving purposes (it has an engraved plate on it and everything), and Mom asked me if I wanted the old lava lamp. (Whenever Mom gets rid of stuff, she always asks me if I want it. Sometimes it's hard to resist.) I said H yeah. I've never actually seen a lava lamp in real life. Just on movies. But I knew I would love it. My Grandma H had all of these iridescent lamp thingeys when I was a kid. No lava lamp, but fake flowers that rotated and had these weird lights in the petals that would change colors. I stared at them for hours. I figured a lava lamp would have the same effect. And it does.

I put it in the kids' room, because I knew they would love it, too. Now it's a staple of our nighttime routine. Tuck the kids in, give them a hug and kiss, and turn on the lava lamp.

P.S. It's my birthday! A post and pictures to come. I promise to take more pictures this year.

4 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Happy, happy birthday, Karlenn Dear! Hope you have a fantastic day!!!

Mindy H. said...

Hello!!!! I have missed you (and your posts) so much! I finally have internet access again, so I am going to comment on your last couple of posts all at once!

Happy Birthday!

I have been pro-lava lamp since Jenny gave me one as a high school graduation gift. I keep it at school and turn it on for the kidlets when they are very, very good.

Sadie is a cook!?! How cool is that?!?

Congrats to Ben on his buildings! When they are finished I am going to have to go on the Ben-building tour.

Have I mentioned how much I missed your posts? Love ya!

Anonymous said...

cool lava lamp! I've never had one, but they are cool looking!

Nat said...

Dude, my Christmas angel has little twiggy things coming out of her hands that light up and change colors, just like those things of grandma's! I thought those were so cool, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...