Monday, April 26, 2010

The Papaaaaa! THE PAPA! 2010 Edition


Mon Pere had a birthday on Easter weekend. We had a little Easter Egg Hunt/Birthday party on Easter Sunday to celebrate.

My adorable Mom stuffed 150 plastic eggs with candy, taped each and every single one of them shut, just in case, and hid 'em. She said there were so many left after she did the hiding that she just hucked the remainder all over the lawn.

And she had a fantastic idea this year - she let the toddlers go first and find five or so eggs, then the middle kids, and then the oldest kids. That worked out really well. Usually, the oldest kids go out there and grab all the eggs before the teeny kids have a chance to even grab one.

I have really good memories of egg hunts with my sisters when we were younger. Like six years ago. :) I have no doubt that, had Lex and Beads been here, they would have insisted on participating, and they would have dragged Nat and I into the fray. We used to push, shove, trip, etc. to find the eggs, giggling the whole time. It was a blast. This year, my pregnant self just wanted to do the bare minimum so I could go lie down.

Dyls and Sades:

Me and Micahrooney:

Holy shnikeys. My hips get WIDE when I'm preggars. But my butt remains a big flat pancake. No matter what.

For dinner, we had some amazing spiral-cut ham. Ben always shoves his way in to carve meat, or marinate it, or grill it, or whatever we're doing that involves meat. He is a meat-meister:

Mom had me bring a salad, as usual. That has become one of my official family jobs. I bring the salad. My mom is a salad-meister, and she loves my salads. I'm happy to oblige. My other family jobs: being stuck in the back of the car on long trips and giving everyone food out of the cooler, family peacemaker, and having the title of The Fat Sister. :) Hey, someone's gotta do it.

I am pretty sure this is the worst picture that has ever, ever been taken of me:


I had been too busy doing food and taking care of kids that day that I didn't have time to do the hair and makeup. And I'm really not a fan of that shirt of mine. Every time I see it in the closet, I sigh. But it's comfortable. I'll give it that.

Then we sang Happy Birthday to the Papa and had super-yummy German Chocolate cake, courtesy of Nat. (Nat's official family job is to bring the dessert.) German Chocolate is my dad's fave.

Nat and I gave Dad some homemade Almond Roca from Sarah's Candy Cottage. I cannot iterate enough how in love I am with Sarah's Candy Cottage. Dad loves Almond Roca, and we thought homemade might even be better than the kind in the pink cans.

Happy Birthday, Pops! You are the bomb dot com. I just love you to pieces. Thanks for being so generous and wise and spiritual. You are such a good example of undeviating righteousness. I really admire you. Kissy, kissy.

How about some slides?





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! My family never did big easter egg hunts, but we did do big Sunday dinners at Grandma and Grandpa's house and that was always a blast!:)

Lyndsay said...

Happy Birthday, to your Papa! (Great now that song will be stuck in my head all day - thanks!)

I think I told you this, but at my mom's each kid is allowed to pick up X number of eggs (usually around 8-10). After that she lets everyone go crazy for whatever is left, but that way the little kids are guaranteed to get a fair amount of eggs and have fun looking for them. It has worked out well for us (my parents are up to 17 grandkids now, so it could get crazy otherwise).

Patty said...

I love blowing out candles at my birthday. I wonder if that sticks with you your whole life. Your mom is so dedicated to the cause!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...