Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I'm his witness - oooooEEEE!!!



So, apparently, "March Madness" is over. Yes, I adore basketball. Do I have time to watch it? Nope. Do I know who won? Nope.

My husband isn't really into watching sports, and I'm actually really grateful for that. After awhile, the roar of a football crowd or a basketball crowd on TV gives me a bit of a headache. I crave silence. So much. That craving began when I started teaching 8th grade English. Seriously. Junior high students are so freakin' loud.

I work some evenings and Saturdays at my dad's office, scanning older documents onto a database. I love it. Mainly because of the whole silence thing.

At my dad's office, March Madness is a HUGE DEAL.

When I went in one evening a few weeks ago, I stopped in Dad's office to say hi. (He's always there at night during tax season. I feel really bad for him.) His partner, Brian, from across the hall, yelled, "Hey, Karlenn, before you go downstairs to scan, will you be my witness?"

Huh?

As it turns out, Brian was in charge of randomly assigning teams from the top four "seeds" to each person in the office. They have a little office "pot" - whoever is assigned the team that ends up winning gets the little pot. It makes for much excitement at the office. Brian used an excel spreadsheet with a random number generator to assign teams to each office worker. (He's an accountant. They are very meticulous folk.) He didn't want to be accused of cheating, so I was in charge of witnessing him as he went through this process. It was very serious business. As he was doing it, we had four or five people from the office stop by to see which team they got. It was really cute.

A few evenings later, at about nine o'clock or so, I was finishing up downstairs in my office, and suddenly, I hear this huge ROAR from upstairs. Everyone was still there, working (because it's tax season), and they all had their little mini TV's on, watching some game. Apparently, whoever won that game elicited great excitement. I thought it was hilarious.

3 comments:

Nat said...

I heart Brian. He rocks.

Oh, and Black Eyed Peas. Not that you asked, but I'm glad I know the reference anyway.

The Dillons said...

haha gotta love the guys during March Madness!

Mindy H. said...

I know what you mean about the loudness of junior high kids...

And I agree with Lyner about guys during March Madness. Most of the time it is more fun to watch them react to the games than it is to actually watch the games!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...