Thursday, October 11, 2012

Maid of the Mist and Laughing Until my Cheeks Hurt

Dude, sorry I haven't been on the blog for a few days.  I had to make some cards for my sistah.  But we're good now.  I reeeeeally should be working on my Sunday School lesson, but....nah.  Not tonight.

Kay.  So after we walked around the Niagara Falls greenbelt, we caught a boat called the Maid of the Mist, which took us right up to the base of the falls.  Holy mist.  If we hadn't worn our ponchos, we would have been SOAKED.  My new waterproof mascara was a good buy, as it turns out.
Then we stopped and got me some soup (I was hungry, dude) and headed to Toronto to see a Blue Jays game.

I really like watching baseball, because I understand it.  I played softball, so the game makes sense to me.  I have a hard time watching football, because I just don't get it.  I've had probably 50 guys try to explain the game to me throughout my life, and as hard as I try, I just cannot wrap my brain around it.  So going to a pro baseball game was a real treat for me.  And the Blue Jays were playing the New York Yankees!  It was fun to see people you hear about and see on TV or in magazines, like Derek Jeter and A. Rod, in action.

There were two crazy things that happened during the game we went to that night that were actually highlighted in all the sports talk shows later that weekend, like, "highlights of the week" type things.  The first thing involved the Blue Jays' pitcher:

A dude hit a line drive right at him.  The pitcher caught it, but the force of the ball was so great that it knocked the pitcher's mitt off his hand and high into the air.  The ball miraculously stayed in the mitt, and the pitcher carefully caught it.  And the guy was out.

It was so crazy and funny, yet as the pitcher walked off the mound, he didn't even crack a smile.  Loosen up, Jenkins!

The second thing was a really great double play that the Blue Jays made.  The batter hit it in the vicinity of third base, the third baseman tagged third and got that runner out, then threw it to first, where the first baseman got the batter out.  I'm not sure why that made it to highlights of the week - maybe double plays don't often happen in baseball?  I know they happened in softball all the time. :)



 The CN tower is right next to the stadium, which is cool:

The stadium actually closes during cold or inclement weather.  We were really lucky they closed that sucker up.  It was about to get pretty cold...
Kay, so the best thing of the game, for me, was this, like, Reverse Heckler sitting one row down and over a ways from us.  He was a Yankees fan.  And he would yell out these supportive statements to the Yankees players.  He had a voice that really carried, so everyone for several sections could hear him.  And he was HILARIOUS.  Here are some of the nuggets he shouted out, always followed by bursts of laughter from everyone who could hear him:

"Come on, Swisher!  Hit that ball!  You are the working man's hero!!"

"I love you, Chavez!  I have a poster of you on my wall!  You and me are emotionally connected!"

"Good pitch, Garcia!  He can't handle the fire that you're throwing at him!"

"You can do it, Suzuki!  You need to self-actualize!!"

"Jeter, I see that you keep messing with your belt; I can buy you a new one if you need it!"

Seriously, I laughed and laughed.  That dude made my day.

And the Blue Jays lost.  Big time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I wish we could take the boys to a real baseball game. They've been to the chukars games a few times, but it's not the same:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...