Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Wars in Alma - Ben's Insight

A few months ago, Ben had to give a talk in his skype branch.  He sent the talk to me to proofread, and I really loved what he had to say about the wars in the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon.  I've been wanting to put his interpretation onto this blog so that, when I have it printed into a book, I can have it.  Here are his thoughts:

"When I was young, I struggled with getting past the book of Alma in my efforts to finish the Book of Mormon. I could not understand why there were so many war stories. Weren't those supposed to be in the “other records” mentioned so many times in the Book of Mormon? And, we've always been told that everything in the Book of Mormon is of great value. So after some pondering and likening, I came to a realization. I realized that, while I may not be swinging a sword, I am in a spiritual battle for my soul, and that I could learn a great deal from the Nephite-Lamanite wars in fighting my personal battles. Here are a few instructions I have gleaned from the book of Alma. 1) My armor must be better than my enemy's and strong enough to withstand attacks. 2) My weapons must be more deadly than my enemy's. 3) My city's fortification must be impenetrable to attacks. 4) It's easier to maintain a city than to retake it from enemy forces. 5) Look to the prophets when preparing for battle. 6) With great faith, obedience, and love for our mothers, our lives will be protected.

"If we are to look at these lessons in a spiritual light, we might see the symbolism in our own personal preparations. 1) For me, I see that my faith is my shield and armor. If it is weak or lakcing in any area, I'm vulnerable to the “fiery darts of the adversary.” 2) My knowledge of the word of God, both ancient and modern, is an arsenal from which I can draw unlimitedly in any battle. 3) My family is my place of refuge, but only as long as I do my part to maintain and strengthen each member. 4) My service in the church strengthens and blesses other children of my Heavenly Father and just may rescue a falling soul from the onslaught of the enemy. 5) My heeding the prophet's teachings, as well as seeking personal revelation, gives me much-needed insight to dangers that lie ahead and what preparation I can make in my life to ensure safety, happiness, and prosperity. 6) My mother really did know best. Her bestowal of love and setting the faithful example started me on the path to joy, love, and ultimately, the celestial kingdom. "

Ben is so smart.  And so spiritual.  I love that man.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...