Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Moondrops, Halloween Style

So my friend, Apes, who works with Bright Side Crafts, brought over some other colors of moondrops a few days ago.  I'm really excited to try out the different colors.  Most of them are translucent, but they make black ones that are totally opaque.  I knew those would be the moondrops of choice for some Halloween cards.

I started with a card, complete all but the dimensional elements:
I got this paper, seriously, like ten years ago.  And then forgot about it.  It was a huge surprise when I was digging through my paper box the other day.  And it was perfect for what I wanted.  I wanted some kind of busy paper.

About the "spooky" silver sticker at the bottom - I bought those stickers at Staples - they are Martha Stewart brand.  I really wanted to stamp with white on them, and then emboss the stamp.  I wasn't sure it would work, though, with the slick surface of the sticker and all.  So I gave it a shot.  It turns out that any errant particle of embossing powder that is sprinkled on the sticker, and then not removed grain-by-grain, is there to stay.  But it's okay, because it gives the stamp kind of a misty, spooky effect.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Kay, so I got out five black moondrops and trimmed the little nubbins off them with my fingernail clippers.

My nine-year-old took these pictures tonight.  He did a pretty bang-up job, no?  My hubby is out of town.  Again.  (But not in China this time.  He is in the exotic land of Minnesota.  And only until Thursday.  But still.  I was like, "But you just got hooooome!")

Now.  I used Elmer's glue the last time I used these moondrops, which mainly worked great, but one of the moondrops did pop off when I slipped a card into an envelope.  So this time I used Zots.  You can buy Zots at any crafting store.  They're a little spendy, but when you want to glue something and don't want it to move until the year 3012, you'll want to invest in them.  I used to use glue sticks on my cards, until all my family members teased me about them, saying that their cards came to them in pieces.  I've been a Zots girl ever since.  They have a mini size that is perfect for the diameter of these moondrops:
Then I just pressed those babies into place - anywhere I would normally put a brad or an eyelet.  And soooo much easier to use:
The finished product:
 

 
I painted white acrylic paint on the edges of my orange cardstock with these cards.  Something I saw in a magazine and decided to try.  What do you think?  I'm not sure I'm sold on it...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...