Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Post-Nap Depression

Last month, my friend, Anjie, wrote this post. It is hilarious. Her son, Reagan, had woken up from a nap in a majorly bad mood. My other friend, Angela, commented that her daughter sometimes wakes up grumpily from a really restful nap, and that she calls it "post-nap depression." I chuckled at that, because my kids suffer the same problem from time to time. Here is Dylan, who actually took a nap one Sunday (It's getting harder and harder to get the kid to take naps. That's how I was as a kid. I did not want to miss out on anything):


As you can see, he was experiencing some post-nap depression.

Here's Sadie, suffering from the same problem:

She was not happy about the spontaneous photo shoot. :) She cried for, like, an hour, and I had had enough, so I did something very, very naughty...

Let me back up. When Sadie turned three, I told her she was too old for her sippy cups; that she had to drink from normal cups, like Dylan. I washed them all and put them on my ledge by my stairs, for me to pack away for Micah to use when he turns one:


I took sippy cups away from Dylan at age three, as well, but we have a few sport bottles hanging around, and if they're clean, I let the kids use them to drink their drinks from. Dylan calls them "White Big Boy Sippy Cups." I know; quite a mouthful. We have a couple of white ones, and I just inherited this one from my first 5K a couple of months ago:


The thing about White Big Boy Sippy Cups is that they leak if you don't plug the tops well, and the tops are kind of stiff - hard for small kids to pop down and up. Dylan does okay, but Sadie does not. After a couple of weeks of near-constant spills from Sadie's use of these... well, I'll shorten it for you - WBBSC's, I was like, no. You can just drink from normal cups. No WBBSC's for you, Sade. Which made her sad, because when you have a WBBSC, you can sit on the couch and watch Bambi, cuddling your favorite stuffed animal, Saw, and wrap yourself up in a blanket, drinking away. When you have a cup, you aren't allowed in the living room with it. Not very pleasurable.

Alright, now to the naughty part. Sadie was inconsolable after her nap, and I desperately needed to cook dinner. So...... I gave her a sippy cup and turned on Bambi:


Bad, bad, bad. And I've continued letting her use them, because they really are kind of an emotional crutch for her. When I wake her up in the morning for preschool, she is a beastmaster, but if I wake her up with a fresh sippy cup full of chocolate milk, she can cope better. It's like some peoples' early morning cup of coffee. Or my lunchtime Coke. It just makes life a little bit easier to cope with. So just call me Enabler.

8 comments:

Nat said...

Sometimes you do what you gotta do. If she's still using sippys when she's, like, 8, then you have a problem. But she's just over three and less spills for you...

Gifford Family said...

Whatever makes it easier for mom to cope is A o.k.

Amy said...

We have adopted the Playtex straw sippies for K. She never really liked the regular kind. She does really well with them. Less spills and a more happy camper.

Soozee Carmichael said...

I say whatever works...and as I say this, I realize that I have no kids, so I really have no experience here...but if I had kids I would probably agree with Nat and Amy...I think...

anjie said...

If my kid can suck his thumb, then yours can suck a sippy cup.

I think Reagan was having postpartum depression. Who wants to wake up to a mom who has to take care of a baby, when you used to BE the baby?

Ashley said...

I totally agree. Sometimes you must do anything to get some peace and quiet! Jamason and Kaden still like to use sippy cups...I say no, but once in awhile I give up! I think it is normal. My mom always says you have to pick your battles.

Carrie said...

I am glad to know there is a name for being grumpy after waking up from a nap. My kids don't nap often either, but when they do watch out! I try to keep them in their rooms until they can pull themselves together. I would give Sadie the sippy cup too.

Lynita said...

It's all about quality of life baby! You are not an enabler unless you mean enabling yourself to be a happier mom, which I think is more important than age guidelines in most instances. Like Amy I have some of the straw ones, and I even send them to school in Kaitlyn's lunch when we run out of juice boxes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...