Thursday, November 6, 2008

Two Butterflies and an Oscar

Dude, sorry I haven't blogged for a few days. I've been so stinkin' busy. And sick. I have yet another UTI. I go in for an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys on Saturday. Wish me luck. I've also been busy planning YW in Excellence with Patty, my partner in crime. And I've been making these:


They're the invitations to the aforementioned Young Women in Excellence, which is going to be an Oscar-themed event. The girls are wearing formals and walking down a red carpet to get into Kodak Theater (a.k.a. the primary room) and everything! We're giving each girl an Oscar statuette that has, printed on the base, the award she gets for her project, whether it's "most creative" or "most time spent" or whatever. And we're going to have a Hollywood Walk of Fame area right before the red carpet, with the girls' handprints and signatures on each square with a star above it. Oh my gosh; it's going to be so cute. Patty and I get to be the cool emcees, so I need to come up with some jokes and transitions. And I need to find a formal that fits me. That will be a challenge. Even if I was still a size 7, would I want to be wearing any of my old high school formals?:

Yep, that's me, in the turquoise satin number, circa 1994. Aw yeah. And yes, I know the dress is immodest. Mom and I were under the delusion that, if you sewed thick straps onto a strapless dress, you could make it "modest." Not so much. I wouldn't want to wear that in front of my young women now. Not only because of the bare shoulders, but also because, well, it's turquoise satin.



While I'm in "scanning stuff" mode, here are two more cards that I made in September or so:


11 comments:

J + A Humphreys said...

That is such a great idea for YW. Our YW in Excellence is going to be way lame to say the very least. Our ward is lacking in the leadership arena. Kinda sad for the girls. That turquoise number is Sa-weet! hahah!

Megann said...

You're so creative. Can I be in YW with you? Better yet, I think I'd rather be one of your YW girls. You and Patty, I'm sure, are the funnest leaders.

Nat said...

You know, at the time that dress was some sweet action. I mean, look at all the other dresses in that pic! :) The lace, the poofy sleeves...

You know, you're very punny, so you could always do those to seguey. Or something like: "Ann worked so hard on her quilt for YW in Excellence. She not only warms the heart, but warms the toes, too!" Something dumb like that.

Gifford Family said...

Your cards are great! I had a turqoise satin dress also for one of my dances... How funny!

Layton Mom said...

LOVE the dress! Tee-hee. I recall wearing some turquoise satin myself. I love your cards I only wish I was that talented. Maybe we should trade cards for hairbows.

Ashley said...

I love your idea for YW in Excellence...I'll have to remember that. We did a theme like that for Girls Camp a couple years ago and it was awesome. Cute cards too by the way...I am so glad that you are using all that stuff you bought from me! I miss making them with you though :(

The Boyles said...

Hope you get feeling better! I think sometimes once you get a UTI they are just hard to completely get rid of. I agree that you are so creative - I wish I was ! :)

Gramma n Grampa said...

This sounds so fun. The girls are going to love it.
Your cards are darling. Do you do these up as a group thing or just youself? I want to learn!
LaRae

Lynita said...

What a fun idea for YW! I hope everything turns out great, with you working your tush off it should. Personally I think you are brave, nothing says fashion don't like turqoise satin!

Carrie said...

The cards are beautiful of course, but what I would really like to see is you in that beautiful turquise satin dress. When did we get old!! When did the 90's get so old fashion? PS Do you have any contact with Camel? Those were the days!

Patty said...

You're the best. Always working. Always caring. And then always blogging about it! How Do you do it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...