Thursday, March 12, 2009

Appliances

So. Within three months, we had three appliances die. First, our fridge. Then our over-the-stove microwave. Then our clothes washer. It's been neat.

Although the deaths of these appliances has been a huge pain in my butt (and in my pocketbook), they have opened the door to three new appliances with which I'm in love:

1. My fridge. Oh, baby. If Ben gets a job in Timbuktu, I will insist upon shipping this fridge there so that I can have it forever. It has a freezer in the bottom, and the fridge doors open french door-style, so you can fit big trays in. No skinniness to worry about. I had no idea what I was missing when I had a side-to-side fridge/freezer thing. And now, I'm not sure I could ever go back. Love it, love it, love it. My mom is very covetous of it:


Oh, and how could we afford such a gorgeous piece of appliancehood? Home Depot and Idaho Energy (I think that's the name of our power company) have this program where, if you buy an energy-efficient appliance, Idaho Energy will finance it, it's zero interest, and the payments (split up into 60 payments - five years) are just added on to your energy bill.

2. Our new, over-the-stove microwave:

Dad and Mom gave it to us for Christmas. Thanks, guys. We love it. We learned that microwaves are REALLY hard to go without.

3. Our second-hand washer and dryer:


Ben's dad and stepmom gave us their "old" ones (they're only three years old). We were sure that, though our dryer hadn't busted yet, it would die at any second, since it was olive green and from the seventies. And it squeaked really badly when it ran. Ben's uncle hauled these beautiful white pieces of appliance heaven up from St. George, and Ben met him in Salt Lake and drove them the rest of the way home.

We also realized what a pain it is not to have a working clothes washer. (We are such brats! How many people in the world don't have a clothes washer/microwave/fridge??) We did our laundry at my folks' house for about a month, and I felt really bad for taking up precious laundry space and time at their house. Thanks, guys, for letting us do that for a month. It sure beat hanging out at a laundromat. And thanks, Tim and Brenda, for the washer and dryer. They are amazing. We love 'em.

Here's hoping that my dishwasher holds out for a little while longer.

5 comments:

The Dillons said...

Love the fridge...watch out, I know where you live and I will steal it..j/k! We americans are quite spoiled, aren't we. But they are certainly nice to have!

Nat said...

New appliances make things so nice! YAY! Sometimes I wish my dishwasher would die so I would have to get a new one. But it will probably last for at least 20 years, huh, especially since I want it to die. (It's fine, it just doesn't fit a lot of dishes. It's awkward.)

Kristen said...

I feel your pain...a little. Our clothes dryer broke this weekend and it wasn't as easy to fix as we thought. Good luck with your dishwasher and enjoy your new appliances.

Amy said...

Three appliances breaking- not exactly what I would call neat, but very nice to have new(er) working ones. I'm glad that you found a way to get what you needed.

Camille said...

Hey Kar -
I'm feeling your pain. Here's our list for the month:
2 new furnaces and 2 new air conditioners.
1 new Fridge
1 new Oven
1 iron
Our dishwasher is only about a year old - so we should be good there - we're keeping our fingers crossed for the microwave!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...