Saturday, March 21, 2009

Singles Awareness Day

See, Beads? I have you beat, as far as being behind in posting, because I'm just now getting to Valentine's Day.

I used to call Valentine's Day, Singles Awareness Day, or SAD for short. :) I hated it. I never, ever had a valentine on Valentine's Day, until Ben and I were married. Now, I love it. But for 22 years, I hated it. When I was in college, I discovered that, if I pretended that it was a normal day - kept pushing the fact that it was Valentine's Day out of my head - I was able to cope a little bit better. I'm so very, very glad that those days are over.


Ben and I went to our ward's annual Sweetheart Ball on Feb. 13th - my friend Megan took pictures, and I need to bug her to put them on her blog (consider yourself bugged, Megan), so that I can put them on mine. The Sweetheart Ball was incredibly fun and well-planned. A bunch of the young men and women served us, so we didn't have to do the cheesy buffet-style eating that we usually do at ward functions. That was a nice touch. While we ate, there was a big screen with a projector that showed clips from famous romantic comedies, which was fun. The entire cultural hall was decorated with wedding photos from all the couples in the ward, some dating back to the fifties. It was so fun to walk around and try to figure out who the couples were. A lot of people said they didn't realize that Ben's and my wedding photo was us, which surprised me. (Am I that much fatter now?) Then some people in the ward that like to sing sang romantic songs, which was also a nice touch. Oh, and the best part of the evening - The Newleywed Game. About four couples from the ward, each married for a different amount of time, played, and it was really funny. It was a fantastic evening.

Here are some pics from the following day, Valentine's Day Proper.

We give our kids one small gift every V-day (my mom used to do that for us, and I loved it). I cannot for the life of me remember what we gave Sadie and Micah, but I do remember that we gave Dylan a bow-and-arrow. The arrows had those sucker things on the end instead of actual arrowheads. Dylan had fun affixing them to his 3D glasses:


Dude, he doesn't even play with his bow and arrow now. Why do we even give kids toys? Seriously.

Ben got me some cute decorative baskets for our living room:


And I got Ben a couple of t-shirts from Target, which he loves. I really need to get him some more:




So. It was a nice, low-key Valentine's Day. And I'll post our pic from the Sweetheart Ball when I get it.

3 comments:

The Dillons said...

That is cool, like the baskets. And umm... Karlenn I am no longer a young woman. And the guys that served are already off their missions so they are not young men. We are just college students willing to help our home ward :) But that was a fun evening and can't wait to see yours and Ben's picture. Emily and Will's turned out really cute.

Nat said...

I need to be better with the little holidays. I gave the kids candy, but it was kind of anti-climactic. For Easter this year, I think I'm going to do less candy, and more gifts; we all need different clothing items.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I guess I can put those picture up for you from the dance... I'm totally behind in my photography!! ARGH!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...