Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The District and the Dome

Little update.

Since nothing seemed to be happening on the job front for Ben, I went ahead and started applying at the school districts around here. Word on the street is that one high school teacher in a certain district is retiring, and a junior high school teacher (same school district) is getting fired - that's what my "inside contacts" are telling me. :) Just kidding. I just happen to know a few teachers. We gravitate toward one another, naturally.

Anyways, there was a job fair last Saturday at this district, and I signed up, thinking it was some kind of weird open house where you schmooze with the district people and beg for a job. After I registered, I got an e-mail, saying that I had an interview time with the district director of secondary ed. Wha??? Sa-weet!

So I hurriedly begged my old teaching friends from Roy, Utah, to write me glowing letters of recommendation, gussied up my resume, and wrote an amazing, tear-inducing letter of introduction. And I finished my stuff to get my teaching certificate in Idaho, and I finished my online application at this district. All of these were really huge projects, but I got 'em done. (And I just got a letter from the Idaho Department of Education on Friday. My copied transcripts aren't good enough for them. I need to purchase official transcripts, of course. Which will probably cost me another $30. Here a buck, there a buck...)

And I went in to my interview on Saturday. And it went really well!! Some of the questions she asked me were similar to the essay questions on the online application, so I felt well-prepared. I had prepared myself for the "What was the time you took initiative?" question and the "What is your biggest weakness in teaching?" but luckily, she didn't ask those. I hate those ones. They're killers.

Anyways, I felt like I answered her questions succinctly, and I felt comfortable and relaxed while she was interviewing me. I was really bummed that I couldn't find my favorite pair of earrings to wear for the interview, though. I felt naked without my cute earrings. Anyways. I will know at the end of April if I made it to the second interview. This one will be just a bit intimidating - all of the principles of all the schools, sitting behind a long table, on a stage, looking at me, alone in a metal chair in the auditorium, below them. Okay, that's just what I imagine. I don't know what the setup will be. But I know it will be me, with many powerful people looking at me. I'm not too nervous, though. I truly believe that, if I am meant to teach again, it will happen. God is at the helm. And I'm comfortable in front of a crowd. Obviously. Otherwise, would I have ever become a teacher? Nope.

And, oddly, this application process has been kind of... exciting. I've found myself getting really excited, which is surprising, because my true heart's desire is to still be at home. Maybe this is the Spirit, telling me that this is where Heavenly Father wants me to be? But what could be more important than for me to be at home??? I don't know. There are a lot of things I keep asking him. But I need to remember that he knows all. Maybe I'm supposed to touch the lives of some kids who need me. Maybe I need these kids to touch my life. I don't know.

Alright, now to the "Dome" part of my post. Ben has an interview today!!!! Yeeeee! For an actual ARCHITECTURAL JOB!!! Not joking. This company is a local company which builds dome-shaped buildings of all kinds. A dude in our ward used to pour concrete for them, and Ben applied, thinking he'd be hired on as a laborer, a concrete pourer. But they actually want to talk to him about joining on in an architectural capacity. Oh, this would be such an answer to our prayers.... I need lots and lots of prayers and positive thoughts from you guys today.... Do a mental pre-kick football foot-stamping excercise on our behalf, friends. And I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Nat said...

YAY for both of you! Yes, I too picture you in the Harry Potter-like trial, with the teachers in their red and black crazy hats. Good luck to you both, and we'll see what all happens!

Amy said...

Luck of the Irish to you both on this St. Patty's day! I will do some deep lunges in your honor- maybe it will help.

Lynita said...

Oh I hope it all went well! I hope that one or both of you will be employed! You deserve to have something to show for your degrees, and hard years as starving students!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...